Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My newest addition

nina89

Reaction score
So a trip down the coast lead to my third mature axie, Hes not yet named, but i'm sure i'll think of something. I introduced him to my other male last night and i couldn't believe the size difference. so i measured em both and ross(rose) is 20cm and the new fella is a whopping 28cm (11 inches).
He's so beautiful with his massive head and his tiny gills which seem to change colour now and then. (I dont know if this is normal) There sometimes pale pink, and sometimes a shade of pink thats almost red.
I really have no idea what type he is but if i had to say he is probably an albino. He has pale pink eyes and he's all white, he might be a little yellow too but that could just be the lighting, I will be uploading photos as soon as i can.

The guys at the aquarium told me the owners were moving and had no more time for him, and hes never had a tank mate either the poor guy:(. When i introduced the males he was so curious he kept rubbing his nose over ross' back leg and cloaca. I was just a tad worried i have to admit, Ross would just walk away when he's nudged but the new fella just followed and repeated this over again. I only had them together for 5mins and I will continue this daily for the next week I think.
I know its only juvies that are suppose to be snappy but one bite from this big boy and he could take one of my other axies tails right off or there head. Should this concern me do you think.....?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If the tank is large enough with plenty of visual barriers and hides things should be fine..how large is your tank? And you can always feed the two at opposite ends to reduce aggression during feeding.

nina89

Reaction score
I just got one the other week its just been set up with sand, large rocks and hiding places and its 77cm long. there not going in it though untill next week, i still need to test the water to make sure its cycled. He's in one of those aquarium foam box's at the moment, with the water he came in.
I do plan on feeding them seperately but at the moment he's not eating, He's not at all fussed by the worm i tried to feed him last night, when it did get his attention he just spat it out and walked away. I think he is still stressed from the trip home yesturday he was in a bucket for an hour on the drive home, I expect this could have something to do with his change in appetite, I will try another worm tonight! It's too bad i know nothing about his previous diet, incase its not stress causing loss of appetite.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
How large is the aquarium box? He's a monstrous axolotl and is probably producing a good deal of toxins into the water...perhaps a water change would do him good.

nina89

Reaction score
well he only went in it last night and i plan on doing a good 20% change daily or every other day, this will only be temperary for him, no more than a weeks my plan. I'd say the box is around 50cm long, but im not sure cos im at work right now, thats just a guess.

nina89

Reaction score
hahaha no. but i have got 3 week old axies that just went on holidays with me!

MereB

Reaction score
LOL sounds for all the world like you new guy is trying to get Ross (Rose) a little hot and bothered.
The male nudges and dances around the female to initiate mating :happy: she either responds or she walks off :rofl:

Good luck hopefully they will get along just fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1