Holiday and axolotl?

ScarletsBurn

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi :)

Its summer here in australia and in a few weeks (at christmas) Im going away on holiday. I have fish dogs and an axolotl. Everything is taken care of but my axie :(
The problem isnt getting somone to take care of him but no one except me knows how to!

The degrees gets quite hot here so i was thinking, for two weeks only. What would be my best option which will leave my axie most easily managable for the two weeks I am away?
Im just worried about the people who take care of him. I want to make it as easy as possible for them so they dont screw it up on me :( I doubt they would do as many daily checks as I do, im really scared about leaving him. So what would be my best option for my axie? A certain settup? What food will be best (least messy and managable) for the two weeks only. I know fish arent the best diet for him, but they are easiest and i know he will defentetly eat them. It will only be for two weeks. suggestions?

thankyou :)

HI
How big is your axie? How often do you normally feed him?

Worms would be the best food if someone could feed him once or twice a week (providing he is an adult)

If your worried about the temp you could fridge him while your away, he wont need feeding as much in there either.

Mel

When I went on vacation, I just put them in a food container, covered it, and gave it to my father. I told him to put it in the refrigerator (no colder than 5 degrees celsius), do a complete water change once a day with a bit of the water conditioner stuff, and feed pellets or worms once a week until they stopped eating.

Worked out great.

My axolotl is an adult. He is a fussy eater, although when he does it, he eats alot. I Dont really want to frige him. For one, the people that take care of him would freak if he was in there firge, and it would most likely drop below 5 celcius. And they wouldent be to good with water changes either. They have a tank about 45cm long and maybe 20-25 cm in length and height. We were going to put him in there and if the degrees is to hot put a fan over the top or put a frozen water bottle in (When it melts, replace it then repeat)

I just want it to be simple, ive never friged before. Are there any other ways to keep it cool? Like putting him in an escky or something? I might be able to get my cousin to take care of him. his had experience with amphibians and reptiles and would be a better option then my aunt. Im just worried about there lack of commitment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back