Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Honkong newt eggs!!!

velasco13000

Reaction score
Apparently my honkong newts wanted to lay eggs and they laid 3. Any experience raising this type of larvae??

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look in the species specific articles over on CC, there's an account on breeding P. hongkongensis in there.

velasco13000

Reaction score
I ended up getting eggs again from these guys. I'm going to give it a go and raise them up. They are huge eggs. I ended up loosing the adult male for some unknown reason so I'm looking for another male. Here are the pics.. Enjoy. Who here has raised honkong newts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 457

velasco13000

Reaction score
I read the article and it is very helpful. I'm exited because these guys will be easier to raise than most larvae as they are so huge. Starting them on black worms is probably the easiest thing to do. Any idea what he did with all the babies he raised? Even though this species grows very slow and it will take a long time to raise up we never see any cb animals. They are all Imported. From metamorphosis to adult hood is approximately how many years?

velasco13000

Reaction score
So I bought this group of newts but I am pretty sure they chinensis..if any of you guys want to also take a swing at IDing these guys. They are still skinny but putting on weight. I have been having a hard time finding actual adult honkonensis...when was the last time they were actually offered and do you guys think the importation of these guys has slowed down or will eventually stop?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 397

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Hi Ezequiel About three years ago reptile wholesalers in the US were selling trade name rough back newts (that were mostly Hongkongensis) to pet retail. They were obviously imports from Asian exporters. Now the roughback newts you see at pet stores are mostly Chinensis. Occasionally what wholesalers try to sell as paddletails will sometimes be either Chinensis or Hongkongensis. The really sad story is the lack of Deloustali in the US. About 6-7 years ago wholesalers would get Vietnam shipments and they would contain animals they sold as a trade name as warty newt. Half were Deloustali and the other half were Hongkongensis. Sad to say that you don't see many captive breed Juvies around much on Hongkongensis here in the states. I'll keep my eyes open at stores I visit to see if I spot any. I use to keep this species and very familiar with them.

velasco13000

Reaction score
Thank you. Please let me know. This whole thing has motivated me as well. I had no idea how valuable( at least to me) these newts are. While they are always being offered at a super low price,They are becoming more and more rare and harder to come by. The individuals that I have I will try my hardest to raise them and start some cb bloodline of these guys. The individuals that i got were pretty old about 8-10 years old. Sadly I lost the male I had. He was a beautiful guy. I had received a sub adult honkonensis guy and I had him seperate for about 6 months and he was doing great. I placed him in with my original 1.1 group and I monitored them for a week and they were doing fine. Two weeks after I saw my original male not moving much and I seprated him but he passed away. Not sure what it could have been. Any ideas?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!