Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl popularity

Pullins125

Reaction score
What made axolotls grow in populatity over last few years. 5 yrs ago i never heard of 1 now they are everywhere

tundrabadger

Reaction score
They do seem to have been getting more attention lately.. I remember seeing them in fish stores back in the 90's, but they do seem to have come more in to the group consciousness lately.

As to why, well, they're cute, I find them quite entertaining to watch, and day to day they are very easy to care for unless something goes wrong.

Pullins125

Reaction score
Ok. Just curious. I went to a fish show in kernesville, NC this past weekend and there was at least 3 vendors with them.

tundrabadger

Reaction score
Ok. Just curious. I went to a fish show in kernesville, NC this past weekend and there was at least 3 vendors with them.

Well, they are increasing in popularity as pets....like gerbils. Gerbils weren't in the pet trade until 1964, and now they are very common. I've never been to a fish show, and I haven't been to a reptile show in years....ignoring that axolotls are neither of those things they are both places you might see them...so I can't comment on that, but I can tell you the pet shop I go to has axies as a matter of course, they stock axolotl pellets and two kinds of worm earthworm. They never seem to keep any particular axies all that long either, so that's pretty cool. Clearly people are interested in them.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I wonder if there is a general increase in aquarium interest, and people are looking for something a little different to fish. I've found axies to have more personality than other fish I've kept so it could be something to do with that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!