Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Potential Gill Issue

Tjebb

Reaction score

wremmrg

Reaction score
have you checked your water parameters? One of mine had his(or her) gills shrink drastically because of high ammonia, due to overcrowding an aquarium. Currently is in a separate 20 gallon aquarium with daily water changes hoping for a recovery.

Tjebb

Reaction score
Thank you for responding!

I had just cleaned the water, but I will be sure to test it tonight. Dollar doesn't have any ammonia burns or anything.

pinksmog

Reaction score
This happened to my Lemongrab from poor water quality. I think I was pushing my filter to the max, and admittedly I'd get a little lazy and go a couple extra days before changing water. Nothing crazy, though! But he had beautiful gills as a baby so when I saw that, I was done. I added another sponge filter and Sunday is official water change day, and he's gills are back. Not 100% where they were, but pretty close. I think in time it's possible he'll get his long length back, it's already fluffy.

Add a extra filter! Sponge filters are cheap, easy, and great for bacteria! And don't be lazy like me, haha. They'll grow back, just keep up with maintenance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!