Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fluttering Gills A Lot

Tjebb

Reaction score
So I had just moved my axolotl into his new tank, well cycled and everything. At first he was super still and nervous, then he would do small movements, but he still isn't moving much. Please note he has only been in the tank for around 30 minutes, so I figure he is adjusting.

His gills are fluttering all the time, and I don't think it would be due to low oxygen as it is an open tank with a mesh lid: a very big mesh. What could the potential problem be? Any and all help is useful, thank you in advance!

pinksmog

Reaction score
Hope he's doing well! When I brought mine home for the first time, they were constant gill flippers. So depending on water quality or changes, I would guess he's testing it out. I've also noticed that if they have shorter or nipped off gills, they'll do it much more because they have less gill to receive oxygen. If you don't already, you might want to invest in an airstone or sponge filter to add extra aeration into the water itself. But as long as their gills aren't curling forward and they're acting normal now (moving and eating), I think you should be fine!

Best of luck!

Kingfisher

Reaction score
If he is lacking oxygen, he would swim to the surface and get a gulp of air. If his gills are fluttering, I think he's just trying to get more oxygen because he's in a new environment and probably a little stressed. Tropical fish will do the same when they're not acclimatized to the tank parameters.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1