Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus on axolotl

Corran

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and recently encountered an issue with my axolotl. She is about 1 year 3 months old, and just yesterday I noticed a fungus growth on one of her gill stalks (pictured below in the link).
https://i.imgur.com/lnqjMjN.jpg

I have since done a 40% water change, as I realized that the water quality was probably less than ideal - the drained water was rather discolored. Ammonia and nitrite levels seemed ok at the point of water change. I understand that salt baths are an effective way of treating axolotls, but I've also read that there's a high risk of stressing them out, which may arguably worsen the condition.

What route of treatment might work best in this case? My axolotl is still eating and moving around pretty fine, though.

Thanks!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
When you say the ammonia and nitrite seemed ok, what were the levels? What temperature is the tank?
If you want to treat the fungus with the least stress you can give tea baths a try. Indian almond leaves in tank will also aid with ongoing treatment. Salt does work well but is more stressful.

Corran

Reaction score
The tank temperature is currently at 64F and I'm in the UK.

I actually have some difficulty differentiating between very close shades of colors. As far as I can tell, they are at near-zero, but I could post photos of the tests if that's required.

If I'm going to opt for a salt bath, would fine sea salt (it's not aquarium salt though) work? Also, do I have to do anything with the existing water in my tank? It might make sense to drain out all the water and scrub all the accessories and plants, but I was under the impression that 100% water changes would upset the water cycle. (the tank is over 5 months old)

Thanks.

Corran

Reaction score
I've gone ahead and done 2 rounds of salt bathing (2 teaspoons of fine sea salt to 1L of aquarium water), with a 20% water change daily. The fungus has shown signs of receding, but I can tell that my axolotl was quite stressed out by the salt bath, it's rather inactive now.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If you have trouble with the colours absolutely post a photo so I can double check :)
I think sea salt is fine, as long as it's non-iodised. If the axolotls behaviour is worrying you give the tea baths a try instead. The tutorial is linked here for you, just scroll down a bit http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness2.shtml
Emptying the water won't affect the cycle as much as scrubbing it as the decorations, filter and glass will hold the bacteria. It will take away the bacteria's food though will can impact the cycle a bit. For fungus I wouldn't worry about cleaning out the tank too much. Usual water changes should be fine but i'll wait to see your test results.

Corran

Reaction score
I'll get some photos of my water tests ready tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Those results are looking fine to me, the nitrates are a little low but since the others are in check I wouldn't worry. From the first photo of your axolotl it looks like you have some live plants which help so much in a tank, they're probably eating up the nitrates which means you have a nice healthy cycle.i
I don't think you need to do more than a weekly 20% water change. I usually test before a water change so I can adjust how much water to take out (nitrates around 40ppm I'll usually change 20-30%, anything above 60ppm I'll do a larger water change).
Stick with tea baths for now. If you can get your hands on some indian almond leaves just chuck one or two in the tank. If you use IAL watch the pH daily as it can drop it quite quickly. When I use the leaves I'll also add some crushed coral chunks (or a small bit of limestone) in a bag to the tank or filter. Coral will raise pH without harming the axolotl, so it balances with the leaves.

Corran

Reaction score
I took this water test just 1 day after a water change, that could be the reason for the low nitrates.

After 3 days of salt baths, my axolotl is now clear of fungus, although it's visibly gotten a bit grumpy I guess. Just not moving around much. I have gotten myself some IALs and will be adding them to the water.

My tank capacity is around 100L, so I guess 3 leaves would be appropriate? I'm not sure. Thanks a lot Hayley!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Yeah 2-3 should be fine. You'll probably see the water discolour a bit, which is perfectly normal. It will reduce with weekly water changes. Goodluck!

Corran

Reaction score
Thanks and yeah, the water did discolor and they're starting to sink now. Upon adding the leaves, my axolotl retreated to its hiding pot and actually stayed there for nearly two days. Not sure if its afraid of those large floating objects or what, haha.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
She's concerned about there weird big brown leaves, cute haha! Let me know how she goes!

Corran

Reaction score
As an update:
About 3 days ago the fungus unfortunately returned, on the same location where it grew. My guess was I had stopped the salt bathing too early (i stopped as soon as it disappeared). I have since resumed salt baths and the fungus has once again receded as of yesterday. This time round I will be persisting the salt baths for at least 2 more days. Unsurprisingly, with the salt baths my axolotl does seem visibly upset, with its tail curled up most of the time. She's still eating but still significantly less active than before.

My salt bath routine has been a 10 minute session with 2 teaspoons of seasalt added per litre of water. Once a day.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
That amount seems fine. Sad that it is stressing her out. A couple of days after it's disappeared will hopefully be enough! Have you noticed the gills changing at all?

Corran

Reaction score
By changing what do you mean, do you mean recovery or....?
The gills aren't pointing forward, at least.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1