Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just wanted to know

savannah

Reaction score
Hey i have a young axolotl about 2.5-3 inches long and i really really really want another one! Is my 3 inch axolotl old enough so he doesn't practice canibalism on the other one I get, I know young axolotls have that tendency. Is it that much harder to take care of two axolotls than one? If I get another one of roughly the same size can I keep both in the 2.5 gallon tank I have now or should I move them both to my 10 gallon tank upstairs? I dont know if the axolotl I have is a girl or a boy too and I dont know if I want the pitter patter of little axies in the future if I end up with a girl and a boy. I feel I should wait but if I were to go ahead and get another would that be ok?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi savannah,

An axolotl will get to be about 10 inches long. It is no more difficult to take care of two axolotls than one, but you will need an aquarium that is at least three feet long to house them.

If yours turn out to be male and female, you should separate them at least until the female has reached her adult length. The female's body gives priority to egg production over most other bodily functions, and so if you breed her too young, that energy goes to eggs rather than her growth. Think of a ten year old pregnant human girl.

Axolotls produce a lot of waste. As amphibians, they excrete this waste through their skin as well as from their digestive tracts, so that you cannot see the waste simply by chasing poo piles. 2.5 gallons will essentially let the axolotls sit (and suffocate) in their own toilet.

I very much recommend getting two large tanks - one for girls and one for boys. A three foot aquarium will comfortably hold three adult axolotls, so you cannot go wrong if you get two now - you will have the space to separate them by sex later.

Glad you have come here looking for info - welcome to the Forum!

-Eva

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. If you are thinking about multiple axolotls, it's time to also think about large tanks. A 10-gallon tank is bare minimum for a single axie. This may seem backwards, but actually tank maintenance is easier if you have larger tanks.

savannah

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! It's really hepful:wacko:
Just one more question is it ok for one 3 inch axolotl to be in a 2.5 gallon tank for the time being?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Savannah,

I think it will ultimately be still too small. At best it can be used very temporarily but you really need to hunt for a bigger tank soon.

Cheers.

savannah

Reaction score
I have a ten gallon tank that I initially thought Diablo would go in but when I got the little guy he was half the size of my thumb and that tank was huge compared to him. Is it cool to keep the ten gallon tank for him when he completely out grows the 2.5 gallon one or am I going to have to upgrade to an even bigger tank size.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Savannah,

A 10 gallon tank is the absolute minimum for 1 average full grown adult axolotl. It is not ideal but 'tolerable'. If your axie happens to be one of those that grows a bit bigger than average, the tank would be too small. If you want to have space to provide for 2 hiding spots on top of ensuring good welfare (not overcrowd) your axie, you should upgrade to a bigger tank.

Cheers.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi Erin,

You'll eventually want a three foot long tank. That is enough room for an adult axolotl (or two, or three.. ;) ). Theoretically, you could keep an axolotl in an ice cream tub for the rest of its life, but there is the issue of quality of life - for the axolotl, and for you, as you would be needing to change the water every day for the next 10+ years.

-Eva

savannah

Reaction score
Ok Blue, I'll prbably get a bigger tank than the 10 gallon one. 20 gallons maybe...I don't know I'll check that bridge out when I get to it. For right now Diablo is still too small for his ten gallon enclosure but he's closing in on the ten gallon tank size soon. I'll have his bigger tank ready before he's too big. Thank you guys for all the help.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi Erin,

It isn't the water volume but the tank length that is important.

Good luck to you - and enjoy your little one; they grow so fast! :happy:

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!