Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help!

Quagmire

Reaction score
Hi, I was just reading through this thread and wondering if you know that he doesn't have the same illness that the others he attacked had? You called it mouth rot? I haven't heard of that in axolotls, but with his mouth symptoms.....could they be related?Maybe he had the infection for a long while and it was dormant?

And one other thing I wanted to note....please don't take this as me trying to be rude....I'm really not. I don't understand why your mentality with your axolotl seems to be that the status quo is fine until something horrible happens. If something horrible happens, it's already happened and the damage has been done. We all learn from trial and error at times, but with creatures that rely on our care, I don't think it's fair to leave risky situations as-is just because something hasn't happened "yet." I wouldn't leave a baby with a big dog and separate them only after the baby had been bitten. I hope I'm making sense--I'm in bed and half asleep! Also, I hope I haven't seriously offended you.

And I hope your little guy recovers quickly from whatever is going on with him.

He is totally fine now, no marks or anything. The two females, from what I saw and heard from the owner- almost half of their mouths were covered in the white fungus-like stuff and they were very skinny I believe it got so bad because she was not treating them like she should which she did admit. I was not really involved with the other two, they developed the mouth issues after being attacked by Quagmire (I want to say they were together recovering and he was separated) which is understandable due to the amount of stress they were probably under. I know one of them also had jumped out while she was in quarentine and was on the floor for abit before she found her, poor things went through hell (I am no longer friends with this person >_<). I know while she was trying to get the issue under control she eventually used gentamycin which was working last time I heard.

Looking back I think his issue was a cut that became infected and, because I used the salt and the medications, became more irritated :(. I remember when the original scrape happened and I had expected it to get better on its own... The tea worked like magic! Atleast now I have a full understanding on the different treatments for different issues :).

Im not offended! :D Its just the way it was formated, like a teacher grading a paper, that ticked me off lol.
Please understand Im not waiting for something horrible to happen, fish dont just turn into monsters overnight, they gradually start asserting their dominance. As long as they have a constant food source, live plant matter and algae two things that Quagmire isnt interested in, I dont see why the CAE would all of a sudden decide to maul him. You cant even see him half the time hes so busy.

I know the signs of stress on axi's and fish and these guys are fine. Trust me! I am in and out of that room all day, I would definatly notice if something was going down. When he is upset about something, me moving an ornament or putting the filter in a different spot, he will curl his tail and spend most of his time hiding for a bit until he gets over it- or I put the offending item back where it was. -__-

Quagmire

Reaction score
To be fair, the axolotl isn't healthy since you've posted in the 'Sick Axolotl?' section, which I think is why Pookiewn posted.

The advise is to put the Axolotl in it's own tank, other than that I don't think there's much more to be said that can help. :(

I dont mind people trying to help and sharing what they know about an issue but the way it was formated was kind of insulting. The person who wrote the post even stated they were deliberating on wether or not they should post it, could have sent me a PM instead if they were truely trying to help and had a feeling what they were about to say could possibly insult the person ;). No worries though, I always speak my mind which can get me in trouble :lol:

pookiewn

Reaction score
I dont mind people trying to help and sharing what they know about an issue but the way it was formated was kind of insulting. The person who wrote the post even stated they were deliberating on wether or not they should post it, could have sent me a PM instead if they were truely trying to help and had a feeling what they were about to say could possibly insult the person ;). No worries though, I always speak my mind which can get me in trouble :lol:

Sorry that you felt that way. The deliberation was purely because the written word in its small black uniform text can be read in which ever way the reader chooses to read it. Not necessarily in the context or tone it was meant to be taken.

Please, please, please go to the top of the sick forum. Put plec in the search bar and see the results. There's only six threads to read, won't take long.

Theses may or may not be of help to you:
Aquarium Algae ID (updated May6th '10 Surface Skum)
James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

Anyway, I rest my case. You are obviously happy learning as you go, hopefully it won't be at the expense of any of your creatures.

Quagmire

Reaction score
Sorry that you felt that way. The deliberation was purely because the written word in its small black uniform text can be read in which ever way the reader chooses to read it. Not necessarily in the context or tone it was meant to be taken.

Please, please, please go to the top of the sick forum. Put plec in the search bar and see the results. There's only six threads to read, won't take long.

Theses may or may not be of help to you:
Aquarium Algae ID (updated May6th '10 Surface Skum)
James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

Anyway, I rest my case. You are obviously happy learning as you go, hopefully it won't be at the expense of any of your creatures.

No worries, if he had normal gills I would be alot more cautious but he came to me with almost none and they are still rather short. What I usually do on the rare occasion that I run into a fish that is candidate for my other tank but is not ready yet is I let the "aggressive but young fish" kind of grow up a little in a tank with other non-aggressive at the moment fish before I can introduce them into my cichlid tank (adults cost alot more) so I gave it a chance with his tank. I knew fully the risk of getting a CAE but at the time my little algae eater needed back up and I didnt want to have two algae eaters permanently (those guys would never survive in my other tank).

Since I've always wanted a planted tank but always had aquatics that destroy them I used Quagmire as the opportunity to start one :D. Its like a little ecosystem in there, the algae eaters spend most of their time moving among the plants and staying mostly at the bottom and back of the tank where the axolotl is usually out in the open on top of a piece of wood or hanging on the plants I have never seen them interact at all, they avoid him and sometimes the cae will attack the other algae eater over a certain spot he wants or he gets in his space but I have never seen him go near Quag, hes like 3x bigger than him.

Since I did the full-cleaning when he was recovering from his ouch, the two cleaners are doing really great at maintaining the tank. I had to remove alot off of most of the plants to defeat the dreaded string-algae but luckily it is completly gone now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!