Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Orajel, legal for euthanasia in the UK?

Sebby

Reaction score
Hi all
and sorry if I've missed this information elsewhere.
Can anyone tell me the legality of using Orajel to euthanize an amphibian in the UK please?
I have been recommended this method and have read the Caudata post on euthanasia methods and a few posts where people have used it,
Caudata Culture Articles - Euthanasia

but they don't mention British law. The posts tend to say it is painless for the animal but as this medicine doesn't appear to be registered for animal use I am unsure if it is legally acceptable to use.

Any legal advice OR feedback from people who have used it gratefully received, please feel free to PM me if you would rather not post.

Sebastian

auntiejude

Reaction score
Most of the home euthanasia methods aren't animal approved - oraljel or any other lidocaine/benzocaine preparation, clove oil, alcohol. Even decapitation - the RSPCA say all are acceptable.

The only legal requirement as far as I'm concerned is that the animal doesn't suffer. If you are not confident you should seek advice from a vet, but I have used clove oil on larvae on a few occasions with great success.

The relevant requirements from the RCVS is here.

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Most of the home euthanasia methods aren't animal approved - oraljel or any other lidocaine/benzocaine preparation, clove oil, alcohol. Even decapitation - the RSPCA say all are acceptable.

Please note decapitation (alone) is NOT considered humane. The brain survives a fair time after decapitation in ectotherms, and decapitation is ONLY considered acceptable if carried out on an anaesthetised animal and followed immediately by pithing (brain destruction). In short; don't do it.

For physical method swift destruction of the brain is technically acceptable if done properly - not generally recommended though.

Hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!