Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Need advice/websites.

karmadingo

Reaction score
I haven't had much luck searching through the for sale section of this site. (I joined to fined an axie breeder.)
But I also can't find any website listing axolotls for under $50. After seeing what people on here pay for theirs, it makes these websites that I do find lose a lot of legitimacy in my eyes. Anyone have good websites to purchase from that have a good reputation?

Also, I'm looking forgeneral advice. I have an extra ten gallon terrarium that can be converted into an aquarium, but I fell in love with a long and rather shallow six gallon at a pet store. Would that work for one juvenile?
Are fans legitimately useful for cooling tanks significantly? In case of a power outage, would adding ice to the tank in small amounts while monitoring the temperature of the tank be harmful? Where would the best place to get reliable food in bulk be? Aquascaping advice for smaller tanks is welcome too. :confused:

Felixtacat

Reaction score
The axolotl factory is a good website to get one from but I don't think they have any under 7 inches right now, and they aren't under $50. Unfortunately you've just got to keep looking. Axolotls are probably the most available amphibians on this website so someones bound to have some babies sooner or latter. Just don't get any from those websites like back water reptiles. Their animals usually show up sick or dead. I wouldn't get the 6 gallon. Axolotls grow extremely fast and even the 10 gallon won't last you more than a few months. Your axolotl will need at least a 20 gallon long when it gets bigger. It'd be less expensive and less stressful to your baby if you get a 20 gal from the start. You can add ice as long as it's dechlorinated but in my experience it doesn't do much for the temperature. Frozen water bottles filled with dechlorinated water work much better but they can drop the temp very quickly so just make sure to monitor things. But fans are probably best. They do really work if you have enough surface agitation. But of course make sure it can't fall in the tank or get splashed on and make sure that it doesn't cause too much water movement in the bottom part of the tank. Just the surface. Earthworms are the best food for axolotls and you can buy them online in bulk. I've never bought worms online personally though, so I can't recommend any websites but I'm sure other members can. I just get mine from the bait section in walmart. They aren't sold in bulk but its like $2 for a cup of 18 big worms which can last you for about a month depending on how much you feed. You can chop them up smaller for babies. If your baby is still too small to eat them however you can feed frozen bloodworms or axolotl pellets. You can buy the pellets in bulk right here on the website I think. Axolotls are probably not the best candidates for aquascaping. They need dim lighting as they don't have eyelids. They are also a lot bigger/heavier than most fish so they manage to uproot plants quite easily. I had some anubias nana that did well and my axolotl loved them but she was constantly uprooting them by accident. So for aquascaping I'd say that it's best to just keep it simple. Best of luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!