Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is it legal to ship Axolotls from USA to BC Canada?

evanalexjames

Reaction score
I've checked all over the internet and even reached out to CBSA (with no response), but I cannot find a definitive answer.

I am currently in the process of breeding my Axolotls and a really good friend of mine who lives in BC Canada wants a few to keep as pets in her classroom (she teaches year 7 science) to teach about regenerative limbs. I was wondering if I could legally ship the Axolotls to her and if so, what regulations I would need to follow in order to do so.

I am not a business. I am not selling them. I am just trying to help out a friend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

auntiejude

Reaction score
'd need to apply for permits under CITES - which would probably make it far too complicated to be worthwhile.

dendromad

Reaction score
No it is not legal. Ambystomid salamanders are classed as wildlife under the BC Wildlife Act and thus illegal to posses in BC.

dendromad

Reaction score
Axolotls are illegal to posses in BC. All ambystomid salamanders are classed as wildlife under the BC Wildlife Act and thus are illegal to posses without a permit (which is usually for zoological institutions or similar).
The recipient would need a possession permit and and import permit from the B.C Government which would not be likely given for an individual.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!