Question: Play time

Squirrelgirl

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am a new axolotl mommy and am curious about what my little princess might like to do or play with? She has everything she needs to live comfortably but I don't want her to be bored. Any suggestions? My tank floor is bare, she has a flowerpot cave, a 'bridge' type hideout, some large rocks to stabilize the flowerpot, a ceramic ducky with some fake plants in it and a few little moss balls. It's a 40 gallon tank. Btw, I just love her!!

Mine seems to enjoy hanging out/rolling around in the plants. They also nose the moss balls around and frequently I see them "cuddling" them.

I'm not sure if they actually "play" with things, but I am curious to know!

Most of the time they just hang out and swim a bit but mine love live plants, especially java ferns and moss balls. They'll sit amongst the plants and push the balls around. I have juveniles at the moment who are eating live blackworms, any they didn't eat right away I leave in there for them to hunt. Every now and then I'll look over and they'll do a little jump, meaning they caught one haha
Mine like it when I go up to the glass to look or take photos. They'll come over and get as close as they can. They will also follow me if I move around the tank. I like to think this is play time for them :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back