Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Necturus Beyeri Larvae care

Koolasuchus

Reaction score
Hello, I have been keeping salamanders for awhile and have always been interested in the genus Necturus. I just got the opportunity to purchase a 2 inch long Gulf-coast Waterdog larvae. I have searched the internet and found no care sheets on them, and am interested to know; what to feed them, how deep the water should be, what I should put in the tank (rocks, hides, etc.) and if I can put ghost shrimp in the tank to help clean it? Thank you, any information is valuable.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've never kept this species or any closely related to it, but Caudata Culture does have a care sheet. I'm on my phone and don't know how to post the link on such a device, but I found it pretty fast so I think you can too!

Good luck with the little critter

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I've never worked with this species, but I have successfully worked with the closely related mudpuppy, so maybe I can give you something to start with.
Like other aquatic salamanders, water quality is critical. Start with a cycled tank, use a good filter, perform regular water changes, and keep it cool.
Shallow water is unnecessary- fill your tank to the top. Make sure that there are no openings around the lid, or it may escape.
When I had mudpuppies, they hid during the day. I provided smooth shallow rocks for them to hide under. They will dig a depression in the gravel, if you use it.
Like other salamanders, they will eat most any small, live prey item that they can swallow. Earthworms, black worms, and other invertebrates are all good. Larger specimens will readily eat fish. I also think that your shrimp will become food, too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!