Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help! Juvenile Lesser Siren Not Eating

Haze91

Reaction score
I obtained a six month old lesser siren from someone off of Craigslist two weeks ago. They gave it to me in a one gallon tank with no filter and that's what it's currently in. I have a ten gallon I'm cycling for it but it's not ready yet. I am doing daily 60-75% water changes and adding Ammolock every couple days just in case. PH is about 7.4. I have to add a little baking soda to get it above 6.0 PH which is how it comes out of the tap as. Nitrites are at 0ppm. She has rocks and a live plant but no hides. I had a PVC pipe in there for about a week but she never used it. Since she won't use a hide I'm covering her tank with a towel to hopefully reduce stress.Temperature stays around 66 Fahrenheit.
As for food, the only thing I've gotten her to eat is frozen bloodworms. I've tried cut up red worms, mealworms, bits of fish, and pinhead crickets to no avail. About three days ago she stopped eating even the bloodworms. Up until then she was eating every single day. And today she has started floating towards the top of her tank. I'm really worried! I'll attach a couple pictures so you can see her condition. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200222_113404.jpg
    20200222_113404.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 298
  • 20200213_075636.jpg
    20200213_075636.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 20200213_075600.jpg
    20200213_075600.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 188

Haze91

Reaction score
Unfortunately my siren died earlier this week for reasons I am still unsure of. Back when I had this issue though, I finally found the food he wanted. Blackworms! I figured out how to culture them myself and from then on he ate like a champ. He switched to chopped up Canadian nightcrawlers no problem once he was big enough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1