Finally given in... Potential second axolotl

MichaelWB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since Adeline the axolotl moved in with us back in September she has become a popular and well loved member of the household.

We've seen her go from humble beginnings as a relatively small axolotl to a relatively big one. She has given us many fond memories and we all love her to bits.

Adeline lives in her second tank and it's pretty roomy. This means that, deep in the confides of our garage there is a second tank that is currently without an axolotl. With the rearranging of some furniture we could fit it in the house. Exciting stuff.

Now the prospect of cycling a new tank does not seem too scary with a well established tank several feet away. Would it be possible to take a tank decoration with plenty of bacteria on and put it in the new tank to help speed things up? I mean, this is pretty much exactly what we did when Adeline was moving tank.

The only difference is, this time it's not Adeline moving in, it's Arnold or Ada or Aiden or Alexandria. It's another axie. Is that okay? Like, can you use one axolot's possessions and things to help cycle a tank that another axolotl is going to live in? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be okay. But maybe you guys can?

Cheers,

Mike

Sounds like a great idea. The tank will cycle quicker. Every tank needs a axie in it I think:D

That's perfectly acceptable. But while your new axolotl is in quarantine (the first 30 days), you don't want to transfer anything between the new axolotls tank and Adeline's tank, or you risk getting Adeline sick from the new axolotl.

Yeah that's a great idea. That's what I did with my new tank and it worked a treat. Took 3 days to cycle instead of 4 weeks.. :)

Excellent, thanks a lot!

Now I have confirmed my suspicion that once you have one fully functioning axolotl habitat it's relatively easy to setup new ones...

I fear I may have stumbled upon a VERY slippery slope :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back