Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Using Co2 to grow plants

asglrain

Reaction score
Im wondering if having co2 pump into a tank with newts or other amphibians is harmful? I grow alot of my tanks with co2 for fish. I did have 1 newt in a tank where I was running co2 but removed him after 3 days. I was using it as a isolation tank. Couldnt find anything around about this, it really makes plants grow well and very lush.

Kribby

Reaction score
I can think of two things you would want to concider with running CO2 in an amphibian setup.

1. Available oxygen. This is a concideration with fish as well, but something to concider is the increased body mass of the amphibian. I would be concerned about the animal getting enough air if it is fully aquatic. So check on the species. Usually amphibians like a high O2 content in the water.

2. pH. The pH in a planted tank is typically low. I know some amphibians don't like overly low pH.

Otherwise, I don't see how it would be an issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!