Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Reaver is Morphing and I have some questions!

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
So I got a salamander larvae thinking he was an Axoltol. Well, I named him Reaver and he is morphing. At first, he gained his tail spots and now he is losing his tail fin! I am posting some pictures, sorry about the messy tank.

I have questions about setting up his future land home. I read 4 inches of Coconut Fiber and Organic Top Soil is ideal, but do I need any bark? What type of moss does he need, I read sphagnum moss for Tigers? I am thinking a piece of Cork Bark for a hide.

P.S. Will Moist paper towels work for right now, if he completely changes before my father gets paid?

Mmmmmm.....Red Worms!

Attachments

• Morphing! 001.jpg
    Morphing! 001.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 253
  • Morphing! 005.jpg
    Morphing! 005.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Morphing! 006.jpg
    Morphing! 006.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Morphing! 002.jpg
    Morphing! 002.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 260
  • Morphing! 003.jpg
    Morphing! 003.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 208

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
He is starting to lose his gills. Excuse the nasty water, I turned off the pump.

Attachments

• Morphing 005.jpg
    Morphing 005.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Morphing 006.jpg
    Morphing 006.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 224

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
Well, I completely cleaned his tank and made a land area with rocks, mopani wood, and some soft cloth plants on their sides. He is on one of the plants with his nose out of the water.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
So no one can answer my questions?

Well his gills are almost completely gone. I just noticed he has an extra toe on one of his back feet.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any kind of bark (or other material) is good as a hide. Avoid using sphagnum moss, it is very acidic.

Yes, moist paper towels will work temporarily. Be sure to change them every day or two, and provide something as a hide.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
Any kind of bark (or other material) is good as a hide. Avoid using sphagnum moss, it is very acidic.

Yes, moist paper towels will work temporarily. Be sure to change them every day or two, and provide something as a hide.

What type of moss is recommended?
Sorry, if I didn't make myself clear. I was asking what type of bark substrate wise?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would use a mix of topsoil and coco fiber for a substrate. It retains moisture well, and holds burrow structure.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have a half-log in mine, but they usually burrow under the water dish. You could use coco bark slabs, but they like to burrow.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
His gills are completely gone and he getting his pattern and color. I move him to a land tank with a large bowl of water.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
Okay. Well he isn't staying in the water bowl anymore. He is hiding under the fake silk plants I have in his cage right now.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
He may not have figured out the burrowing thing yet. Just give him lots of cover. The more secure he feels, the sooner he'll start eating.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
He may not have figured out the burrowing thing yet. Just give him lots of cover. The more secure he feels, the sooner he'll start eating.

I don't have any dirt yet. Getting some at the end of the month. He has lots and lots of cover.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's good. Just keep trying. Morphing is a traumatic change! As if puberty isn't bad enough, imagine if you had to change your whole body? He should start to eat soon.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
That's good. Just keep trying. Morphing is a traumatic change! As if puberty isn't bad enough, imagine if you had to change your whole body? He should start to eat soon.

I keeping offering worms and crickets. I will try his pellets. He loves his cage. He has explored all over.

CheeseyDean

Reaction score
He's not going to eat the pellets. Salamanders will generally only eat live food.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Pellets usually aren't as accepted by terrestrial animals. You should soak them a little first to make them softer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1