Basic Setup questions

J

jason

Hi all! My name is Spyke, and I'm rather new here. I have a total of four salamanders (one Spotted and three Marbled), and I have a few questions. I know in the wild they often share territory...you flip over a log and you find both those too, as well as Northern Slimy Salamanders (at least where I live you do.). Is it a good idea to have them share a tank? Also, the setup I have now is as follows:

About one inch of gravel on the bottom to hold water

Almost three inches of reptile bark and Bed-a-Beast mix

Various pieces of wood for hiding

Water bowl large enough for all four to soak at a time

Moss...lots of moss

English Ivy in the corner

No heat lamp or light or anything...it stays right around 70 degrees F

Comments and advice welcome!

Two critical factors not mentioned... how large is the tank? And how large are the sals? I'm not opposed to keeping sals together if they come from the same habitat to begin with, but watch closely that all are eating and behaving normally (which in this case probably means hiding all the time).

For wintertime, 70F still seems too hot to me.

The tank is 18"L X 12"W X 12"D, and the salamanders are rather small. The biggest is about three and a half inches, then two are about two inches and the smalles being almost two inches. All will be moved into a larger tank by the end of next week. The new tank will be 36" X 12" X 12"...

Okay, I've got everything set up for now. I have a secure lid, and they seem to have adapted well to their new home. However, I still have one more question for you. I'm still somewhat new to keeping sals. I've mainly dealt with turtles, snakes, and lizards, so I don't have much experience with sals. What is the best method of feeding? Putting crickets in the tank with them...moving them to a seperate feeding tank?

Thanks, guys! I'll post here if I run into any feeding troubles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back