Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The never ending food debate

Mr Feathergill

Reaction score
I would like to make a thread entirely on food.

I know that earthworms are hands down the best but what about the other foods, the strange ones. For not a staple, but as treats or just to vary diet. This is my, personal list of questions.

Food
What about tadpoles?in the wild I'm sure an axolotl would happily slurp an unsuspecting tadpole.
Crickets/Grasshoppers? If one fell in a lake at least my axolotl would definitely take the meal
Feeder fish, not so unusual and good food, but they can nip. Your opinions please?
Tidbits? Pieces of steak chicken and the like.
Dead feeder fish? Obviously not killed by a disease , more sacrificed for the well being of the axolotl.

Thanks for reading, feedback appreciated.

JessKB

Reaction score
in the ponds that I find ambystoma larvae there is certainly a ton of tadpoles and millions of small invertebrates. I think tadpoles would be an awesome addition to axolotls and other ambystoma larvae. Of course they should be captive bred to ensure they are clean of all diseases and aren't hurting declining populations. I find a lot of sick tadpoles in the wild. This might be more trouble than it's worth, but it's something I'll be trying in the near future.

Snails with soft shells (reducing a risk of impaction) are something I assume many axolotls and other ambystoma larvae eat a lot of. Also crustaceans like fairy shrimp and scuds must be eaten in great abundance and there is plenty of info on this site for culturing them.

I stick mostly to worms, but I like to try other food sources as I find them.

dvsgal

Reaction score
I have put live ghost shrimp in buttercups tank before.

Its great entertainment as the shrimp are hard to see and are very quick, freaked her out a little as she couldn't really see them, it took her 5 weeks to catch 8 ghost shrimp.
They also started breeding in her live plants.

Nutrition value, I don't know
Will help with boredom tho lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!