Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

In a New York State of Mind

PurpleKat

Reaction score
I currently don't have any amphibians. I do have a Kenyan Sand Boa girl named Sandy (before I knew her gender and figured the name works for either), a shetland sheepdog, a rabbit, and 8 cats. I also foster for a cat group. I've got a 40 gallon community tropical fish set up and a bunch of bettas I'm going to try my hand at breeding. About 20 years ago I made a vivarium (not sure that's the right word). 45 gallon that was half land and half water. Waterfall in back corner and stream running to water side. A large plastic tree stump I had a semi-aquatic plant growing out of. Several wet feet plants on the land side. Silk hanging plants on the entire back wall. I had long tailed lizards, green anoles, green tree frogs, Japanese fire-bellied newts, white cloud mountain minnows, and pygmy corydoras. Something was going on somewhere at any given time. And I bought crickets 500 at a time. I would like to do this setup again after I move. I've always been interested in axolotls and now that they are becoming more common in better stores I'd like to set up a tank for them.

Besides the herps and fish, I've had numerous furred and feathered pets. At one point or another I've had: all 5 species of hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, pygmy mice, rabbits, guinea pigs, chameleons, red-eared sliders, map turtles, russian tortoises, goldfish, parakeets, cockatiels, dogs and cats. Most people find a niche of animals they like, whether it's a group like herps or a species like axolotls. I love them all and have to keep myself in check or I'd end up with a managerie. In my defense, most of the animals were charity cases when I worked at a pet store: the hamsters with mites, the lizard with a missing tail, the mouse being attacked by cage mates, the parakeet with a stroke during shipment, the map turtle with shell rot, the cat that no one wanted to adopt, the guinea pig pregnant for the 2nd time from her brother. My daughter has banned me from working at any pet store.:bowl:

Blackbun

Reaction score
If you're banned, think of all those little creatures who will miss out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1