Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

At what density should earthworms live?

damien

Reaction score
For a bit more then a year I'm breeding earthworms, but I've never seen worm pee in the bin I put underneath. If I put in an apple, it can be in there for weeks.
I'm thinking that there are too few worms in my bin to have a steady culture (although I've never run out, yet).
Is my culture a normal one or is the density too low?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
As far as I know if you have a proper wormery 'juice' collects at the bottom, in proper wormeries there is a tap to drain off this liquid, if you don't drain it off your worms may get too wet and drown. Alternatively, add some drier soil, or some other dry stuff like paper and it will soak up excess moisture. I have my worms in a storage box with no way of draining the liquid off, all I do is keep an eye on how wet the compost is.
By the way, the 'super fertile water' you mention is liquid fertilser which can be used for plants at a ratio of 1 part liquid to 10 parts water. Hope that helps, Kerry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1