Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra Salamandra - Localities

Axel01

Reaction score
I have seen the following advertised.

• Salamandra salamandra "Covadonga"
  • Salamandra salamandra "mirador"
  • Salamandra salamandra "Serra de grandola"
Does anyone know anything about these localities.

They seem kind of interesting but are there any differences to animals from these localities?? Local races??

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I only recognize right away one of those...and the subspecies would be bernardezi(i think i recognize nother one, but i´m not sure.....it´s probably in Portugal). If those are WC PLEASE do not contribute to the illegal smuggling of our precious salamanders.....
Specially in the UK, there seems to be a constant availability of illegally collected spanish salamandras....very very sad.....

marco

Reaction score
Yeah there being advertised by a shop in York, I checked out the source and their apparently captive bred, I'd be interested to know what they are.

The only ones I know for certain are the grandola, their from Portugal and their a regional variant of Gallacia.

How ever I would like to know what the others are...

tdimler

Reaction score
The "Covadonga" form is a locality of S. s. bernadezi. "Serra de Grandola" is a form of S. s. gallaica. I'm not sure about the "Mirador."

wouter

Reaction score
Mirador is most likely Mirador del Fito, also S. s. bernardezi. I believe that salamanders from all of these localities have been cb'd for some years now, so importing another wc group would be ridiculous and illegal.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m just cautious....
It may be illegal and ridiculous, but it´s still done....
Plus some of the so called CB animals are in fact WC, and unexperienced people can be easilly fooled (others simply don´t care if they are illegal wild caughts and buy them anyway.....we´ve even seen that kind of behaviour in this forum).
Just so you see why i´m such a paranoid twit, here is an article about and intercepted illegal collection in 2007 by a couple of english citizens:

"Semiocultos entre el habitáculo y maletero del vehículo fueron descubiertos numerosos envases (sacos de tela, recipientes de polietileno opaco), debidamente acondicionados, conteniendo un total de SEISCIENTOS VEINTINUEVE (629) ejemplares de fauna silvestre, pertenecientes al grupo de los anfibios y reptiles, clasificados por especies, sexo y tamaño."
"Entre los seiscientos veintinueve ejemplares de fauna silvestre capturados, se encontraban especies tales como : 18 Tritones ibéricos; 19 Tritones alpinos; 25 Tritones jaspeados; 170 Salamandras comunes; 43 Salamandras rabilargas; 67 Sapos de vientre amarillo; 11 Sapos de espuelas; 2 Sapos comunes; 5 Sapos corredores; 2 Sapos parteros; 20 Ranas pirenaicas; 2 Ranitas meridionales; 2 Ranitas de San Antonio; 101 Ranas verdes comunes; 131 ejemplares de larvas de distintas especies de anfibios; 7 Gallipatos; 3 Galápagos leprosos y 1 Culebra viperina."
http://www.extremaduraaldia.com/ext...-un-delito-contra-la-flora-y-fauna/37405.html

I´ll try to translate if needed.....

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Since i don´t know the english common names i´ll just translate to the scientific names, which can´t be mistaken.

18Lissotriton boscai, 19 Mesotriton alpestris, 25 Triturus marmoratus, 170 S.salamandra, 43 Chioglossa lusitanica, 67 Bombina variegata, 11 Pelobates cultripes, 2 Bufo bufo, 5 Bufo calamita, 2 Alytes obstetricans?, 20 Rana pyrenaica, 2 Hyla meridionalis, 2 Hyla arborea, 101 Pelophyllax perezi, 131 larvae of various amphibian species, 7 Pleurodeles waltl, 3 Mauremys leprosa, 1 Natrix maura.

wouter

Reaction score
Unbelievable. That's just catching everything you can get your hands on... Even larvae and Rana pyrenaica...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!