Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Small earthworm supplier

Denikar

Reaction score
Hi all,

Now that my 3 noto's (red eft stage) are growing up it seems blackworms are too small for them, not enough to even wet their appetite. I've been digging up my yard and finding small earthworms for them which they absolutely devour.

Anyone know of where I can mail order small earthworms from in the US?

Also how the heck do I know when the noto's are ready to go aquatic?

Thanks,

Tim

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I dont know of a small earthworm supplier but I too would like to find one. About knowing when the juvies go aquatic, there are a few signs.

-Change of color. The efts will lose thier bright red/orange coloration and will start to turn into the adult two tone coloration. A yellowish belly with a green to brown color on the top half.

-Change of behavior. The efts will frequent thier water dish and stay in there a lot of the time.

-Change of tail shape. The tail will become more laterally compressed. It will become more paddlelike for swimming.

I hope this helps. I just saw your picture of your three efts. The one is getting the olive green color on the top half of its body. My guess would be that one is close to going aquatic. Some people on the forum have adults that dont go aquatic at all though. Newts are very versitle in lifestyle.

Denikar

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on when the efts will go aquatic.

The darkest one for now has no interest at all in the water dish and prefers burying himself in moss on the dryer part of the aquarium.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1