Cooler tempertature to induce birth in S.Salamandra?

ahritchie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hugh
Hi everyone, I have a pair of S. Salamandra, and the female is very gravid and has been looking as she might pop any day now....but I've had her for 3 months now and have provided a shallow water dish but still nothing. I read on the care sheet that they usually mate in autumn and give birth "after a cool winter period from February onwards". She is kept at a constant 69 degrees F in my living room. My question is; should I try to replicate a "cool winter period" by putting her tank in my garage which probably gets down to the 40s at night for a while? The temperature would probably fluctuate between 40-65 degrees from night to day there. Or should I just be patient and leave her inside at a constant 69 degrees?

I would say yes to the garage. Just be very careful that there is no chance of freezing or overheating during a cold night or a hot noon. If you believe there is any risk, then don't do it.

She finally laid two larva today! I have left her inside due to recent warm temperatures. I only have live backworms and bloodworms to feed them right now...do I need to get daphina too? (If so does it have to be live?) They are about 1 inch long each...hopefully more are following!

live bloodworm and blackworm should do fine without the need for daphnia
I have only used live food for salamandra larvae, but know people who have used frozen bloodworm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back