Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Too high nitrate level in tank set up affecting plants

lilyrose08

Reaction score
Hi there,

So about a week or two ago I set up my 54L tank with plants, sand, stones and some hides for my future axie after cycling my tank.

I had a semi-go at starting the nitrogen cycle with my ammonia source as a cube of frozen bloodworm, waited a couple days and measured my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels every couple days.

I found that the max my ammonia levels reached were 0.5ppm, nitrite reached 0.25ppm most, and my nitrates were fairly high, reaching about 40ppm throughout testing. I used the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

After this admittedly feeble and inconsistent attempt at starting my tank cycle I went to research the nitrogen cycle and how to start up. I found that lots of other people found the food source ammonia method to be slow, laborious and messy, as I did. So I started looking into other methods, and ended up ordering another method (Dr Tims ammonia and nitrifying bacteria products) as I read good results and reviews.

So after all this, I've been waiting a good few days for my order to go through and leaving my tank alone in the meantime (holiday period and such).

The other day I noticed one of my plants, anubias barteri, had some dark brown patches appearing on a few of its leaves. I quickly looked up what could be wrong and the main answer I found was too high a nitrate level.

I tested for nitrates in my water and the level was somewhere between the 80ppm and the 160ppm mark! So I looked for causes as to why my nitrate level could be that high, and the answers I found said that the filter could be clogged, so I squeezed the sponge out in some aquarium water. (I'm using an Aquael Fan Filter Mini). The other answer was that I may not have enough plants in my aquarium, but I have 5 not including my 3 moss balls.

So I kept the water sample I took, did a 30% water change and there was little to no change in nitrate level. I did another 16% water change and got the same result!

I'm feeling a little demoralised right now and any help or advice anyone can offer a newbie concerning my issues would be appreciated millions!!

Last edited:

lilyrose08

Reaction score
Here are some pictures (my tank needs rearranging for sure, I know) showing the brown leaves, some are hard to see

26610390_10210352381918523_608566737_o.jpg

26551715_10210352382438536_611356388_n.jpg

26610506_10210352383038551_26990948_o.jpg

lilyrose08

Reaction score
Re: (UPDATE) Too high nitrate level in tank set up affecting plants

For anyone coming across this thread with the same problem, I decided to post what I've done to fix my tank water!

I spent a while hugely demoralised before I realised I should have tested the water straight from the tap! As it turns out, the problem was that the tap water I was getting is above 40ppm! That level by itself is dangerous to fish and aquatic animals! Because I live so close to London, in the suburbs, my water quality is nowhere near as good as it should be.

My advice to people with nitrate level issues: test your tap water!

To fix the problem I was looking at expensive RO-DI machines to purify water, but I couldnt find any below £400 that were portable or renter-friendly! (RO-DI machines need to be directly connected to your water pipes, drilling into them). I was about to give up hope, as Tetra's Nitrate-Minus and nitrate removing filter media wouldn't help me with this issue, but I found a nitrate water filter with hozelock connectors!

This filter is mainly used in the same way the RO-DI filters are installed, but it also works by connecting a hose to a tap with a connector section, and using a bucket to catch the water flow on the other side! (I conveniently had a 10L bucket the perfect height). It cost me £35 for the filter, not including shipping, and £9.49 on the Hozelock Connection Set (which includes a tap adapter).

Here's a link to the website I bought the filter: https://www.pozzani.co.uk/product_i...MIyr2ulI7b2AIVL5PtCh1A5QG0EAQYASABEgKoE_D_BwE

You can also find it on various websites, as well as eBay! I went from getting over 40ppm (nearer to 80ppm) to 5.0-10ppm with my filtered water!

This system saved me, and now I can get an axolotl and have it be safe and happy in much better quality water :) My tank is now cycling, not long until it's ready!

I really hope this helps anyone else with similar issues!

JenFit

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you for posting about this and sharing your discovery with the crowd! I've had my axies for going on 4 years now and haven't been able to get their Nitrates below 30:(
I've taken decorations/hideys out, performed rigorous water changes yet the problem continues. I will check my tap water asap! I filter all of their tank water but perhaps that doesnt lower the nitrates in the tap water, if there in fact is any.

Thanks Again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!