Photo: Changed my axies tank to a quite heavily planted tank with sand

my axie007

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
The gravel wasn´t working I could´nt clean it well so I dicided I wloud try to use sand. I was around the tank for about six hours. I had to remove all the rocks, pieces of wood, plants, gravel and the axolotls of course so I could put the sand. When I was taking the gravel out of the tank I discoverd one cherry shrimp baby. I wad 3 cherry shrimp in the tank about 1 month ago and one of theme had eggs, I thgouht that the shimp had been eaten before she could lay the eggs but apearently I was wrong, I found 8 more babys and they are now living in a ball form aquarium (I don´t know how they are called lol) With some sand and a rock full of java moss. Then after ading the sand I made a big cave of rocks and wood for the axies to explore, and planted the old plants and some new ones(cryptocoryne parva and some plant with sword formed leaves)Here is the final result: note: the cryptocoryne(at the left) has ben divided and planted in small groups over the foreground of the tank after this pic. was taken.
picture.php

In this pic. you can see almost all of the flora I have in my tank:

picture.php

PICKLES:

picture.php

picture.php

The female axie:

picture.php

One of the baby cherry shrimps:
picture.php

Hi!

Great looking tank, but it possibly looks on the small side for 2 Axolotl? I don't know, maybe someone else could help?

Also, 'Pickles' gills are facing forward. Is his tail tip curled? Forward facing gills is a predominant sign of stress.

How is your water temperature/ph level/ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels??

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

Hi!

Great looking tank, but it possibly looks on the small side for 2 Axolotl? I don't know, maybe someone else could help?

Axolotls are not very active by nature, that tank looks fine for 2 adults. Though I'd feed them something more nutritious than bloodworms.

I don´t have any tipe of water tests. I have the aquarium at 20/21 Cº. I know it means stress so I checked the temperature and water flow(has I always do) And everything was OK , He has its gills like that for mounths so I thought it wouldn´t be a problem, he eats great and he eaven released some spwaning yesterday. I changed my gravel to sand and the tank is much cleaner now so I don't know what it might be. He has that big hiding place and he uses it alot. If you have any idea what it might be please help...
I am planing to buy some water tests wich ones are the most important to get?

Hiya
That size is fine for em dont worry! :happy:

Mel

What about the water tests. wich shouldI get? Sorry for posting all the time but I am kinda woried about my water quality:(:eek::(:eek:

I personally (and i think quite a few others on here) like the API master test kit
It costs about £15 - £20 pounds
You get tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH
Its a lot more accurate than the little test strips you get.

Hope this helps!

Mel

Of course. Thank you very much I am going to start looking wright now on the ebay or on some portuguse online pet shop for it.

Hi Myaxie007,

That is a lovely tank set up you have there. It has a natural look that effectively showcase the axies.

Cheers.

HI 007!

Sorry, now you post a picture like that I was wrong in saying it's too small. I do apologise.

Best of luck with the testing kits!!!

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

Hi

Beautiful habitat and axolotls.

Thanks for the coments, and Clairey I am shure your baby will be a great and beautifull friend. About the blodworms I thought they were very nutrisiouse I even checked the caudata culture chart about the worms nutrition and it appears recomended every were, I think.

Great photos,I love the close ups.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back