Ichthyosaura alpestris apuanus juveniles

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Chris Michaels
I have just (in the last couple of weeks) received 3 juvenile I. a. apuanus from Alan Cann. The animals are very nice and doing well. I have one question - the tank is mainly aquatic, with lots of plants and a cork-bark island. The two larger juveniles spend most of the time in the water, but the smallest one, which initially was as aquatic as the others, is now spending a lot of time on the island or stuck to the glass. I haven't seen it eat, but it is occasionally in the water and it was eating well before, so it may still be doing so. The newt's skin is slightly less aquatic-looking than before due to it being out of the water so much, but when it does go under water it is still largely hydrophilic.
How long should I leave it before I move it to a more terrestrial setup, or will it definitely go back into the water eventually?

C

Hi,
I keep seven of the subspeceis of Ichthyosaura including apuana at my work Slimbridge WWT. I have also had problems with some leaving the water before others. What I usally do is remove the individual and put him in a terrestrial tank faunariums are good. If you dont I have seen animals quickly lose condition and stop eating. Although most Alpine newts can be kept in water down to 2 degrees centigrade which is good as it is easyer to monitor them in the water and it conditions them for breeding. But if individuals are determined to have a terrestrial stage then I would let him. Other people may have different opinions but that works for me.

Hope that helps
Jay

I would say it will go back in to the water soon.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a bit more time and see if I notice it eating at all. If it doesn't 'improve' soon I will think about moving it. One thing that I don't understand is why it has suddenly decided to do this...after arrival it was 100% aquatic with the others, but then suddenly changed....

C

in my experience ( quite limited) every alpestris apuanus that morphed under 3,5 - 3 cm prefer to stay on land until he reach 4 to 5 cm. Personally i don't move the terrestrial morph to a different vivarium , i leave them with the others , providing a good land . Never had drowning with this species

The newt is at that sort of size (3.5ish cm), so i will keep an eye on it. If I need to I will add some moss and food to the cork-bark.

C

Just give it some terrestrial hiding places so it doesn't get stressed and leave it where it is. It will be mostly aquatic soon enough.

Thanks, Alan - I will put a small amount of moss and a hide in tonight.
Thanks again for them - they are lovely animals.

C

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back