How to best hibernate I.alpestris apuanus

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I would love to get the alpies to breed in spring. I already saw one male court his tankmates :), but of course it ain't the season yet..

I have them in my cool room, currently at 55 F and 9 hrs of daylight. How low should I reduce temp/light and for how long? Also, should I lower the water level for hibernation? Any pauses/reduction in feeding to go along with cooling?

These alpies are strapping young animals; they are 2 years old next spring and I got them from Jennewt recently. I'm very fond of these guys and would be thrilled to see them have offspring.

At 2 years old, they should be ready to breed now. The routine you have going now is just fine to trigger breeding, hence the tail fanning.;) Make sure the tank has lots of plants, like elodea, for her to wrap her eggs in. Making sure she stays well fed is another key but don't be surprised to see your male not eat for a few days, sometimes even for a week.

In my experience these are easy newts to breed indoors. I've bred them at 1.5 years old so 2 years should be fine if they've grown well. A cool winter period (45-55F) will normally do the trick and eggs are laid when temperatures start to rise - for mine March/April is usual. As Justin says keep them well fed. Fat healthy newts are more likely to turn their attentions to romance ;) and produce lots of eggs. Photoperiods should really match those of the season.

If you're already seeing tail fanning, that's a positive sign. Good luck and let us know how they get on.

When do the males start exhibiting a crest and the breeding coloration? Is that more towards spring too?

No, they start in late fall and the crest is definite that big,

Courtship starts also in winter (above 6°C).

Uwe

No, they start in late fall and the crest is definite that big,

Courtship starts also in winter (above 6°C).

Uwe

I see... oh well, I guess I have two females then. Bummer. :rolleyes:

.;) Make sure the tank has lots of plants, like elodea, for her to wrap her eggs in. Making sure she stays well fed is another key but don't be surprised to see your male not eat for a few days, sometimes even for a week.

lots of courtship! One of the females - the big beige one - is definitely looking gravid, and Mr, Courtship is pursuing her all day long. Incidentally, he has reduced his appetite - he eats fine, but will take just one piece per feeding and then he's had enough. She eats like a snapping turtle and also looks more interested in him now and will sit there and watch his show.

I have relatively little Elodea, but the tank has lots of plants with java fern, Rotala rotundifolia, Vallisneria, Shinnersia, Ceratopteris, Ludwigia, Riccia, Wisteria and Bacopa australis. Do you think from that menu she will like one for egg laying?

I attached a pic of the courting lovers: they are both very light-colored individuals. Pic was taken at a plant-less feeding spot in fron of the tank.

Attachments

• Bergmolche balzen.jpg
    Bergmolche balzen.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 907
Congrats!
I bet my right arm the female will use the java fern for laying. All my females use it primarily.
My apuanus group is finally maturing too, and i expect they´ll have a bussy spring. I´ve waited for so long to be able to delight myself at the sight of a courting male! Finally!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back