Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Belly color triturus

enricolatiano

Reaction score
Hi,
why the trituruses carnifexes in nature have the completely red belly while me also that raise them in a pond to the open one they are born me with the yellow belly?
thank you

caleb

Reaction score
The colour comes from carotenoids in their diet.

They will become more red if you feed them carotenoid-rich foods. Daphnia and Gammarus are good examples.

You could also add carotenoids to their diet by dusting or gut-loading.

I have made some notes on carotenoids and amphibian colour at:
Carotenoids and amphibian colouration

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you rear animals in outside enclosures, you could try seeding the pond with Daphnia. With a bit of sun, they will multiply and the larvae will be able to get carotenoids from eating them.

C

WilliamBlake

Reaction score
Caleb your article on carotene is amazingly interesting.
As i'm french i didn't understand all of in.

Do you say waxworms ar good for adult newts belly color ?
Or do you say they are good only if we add carotene supplement to the diet of the worms ?
In each case which waxworm variety is best for adult newts and how do i have to feed them, what kind of complement do i give them (the worms)?

caleb

Reaction score
they are good only if we add carotene supplement to the diet of the worms ?

This is correct.

how do i have to feed them, what kind of complement do i give them (the worms)?

You would have to add a carotenoid source to the waxworm's food.

You could use artificial supplements, (e.g. carophyll red), or foods that are naturally high in carotenoids (e.g. spirulina, paprika, shrimp).

WilliamBlake

Reaction score
Thanks a lot.
Spirulina is made from cyanobacteria, the one responsible for the blue alguae problem in aquatic tanks. Do you think there is a risk to contaminate one's tank water when introducing this by feeding the newts ? (we all know this kind of alguae is very resistant...)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely none. The spirulina would have been doubly processed, once through manifacture and again by the worm´s digestive system. There´s no way you´ll get a bloom of spirulina in your tank. Even if you introduced live spirulina, it requires particular conditions to grow.
I have tried commercial carotene powders in my waxworm´s culture medium before with very decent results.

caleb

Reaction score
I have tried commercial carotene powders in my waxworm´s culture medium before with very decent results.

Any chance of more details? I'd be interested to know

-what product you used
-what amount you used
-what the waxworms looked like
-how many worms you fed to your amphibians (was it the majority of their diet?)
-how quickly it affected the amphibians' colour.
-how much it affected the amphibians' colour.

I'd be interested in hearing the same information from anyone else that has tried this...

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, let´s see. It was some time ago so excuse me if the details are not too exact.

The product i used is called Nekton Rep-Color.
I added 1gr per total medium preparation (aprox. the volume of a cup).
The waxworms did become very slightly pinkish. Just enough to be noticiable.
At the time i was using the waxworms to feed juveniles of H.orientalis mainly, and they were 1/3 of their diet for a couple of months.(They were used for other species too, but not in significant amounts)
The color of the animals was affected rather fast but i never achieved a full developement of the color. The animals had very nice red bellies (nothing to sneeze at) but not with the same strength and intensity as wild animals. (If you want i can send you a picture).

I´ve had better and faster results with the same product being used for dusting prey both with newts and Bombina orientalis. However, it was clear to me that the animals didn´t enjoy the taste of the powder, so using the product through the culture medium of the prey seemed like a better choice.

caleb

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

Yes, would be good to see a picture of the red bellies.

Does the Nekton-Rep Colour packaging state the carotenoid content?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I just realized, there´s a picture in the CC article "raising juvenile C.orientalis".
I lost the leaflet with the information long ago, i´m sorry. I think, but i´m not positive, the main carotenoid was canthaxanthine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1