Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Baby Or Adult Axolotl

HELP

Reaction score
I've owned an adult Axolotl in the past and have wanted to own a baby one too so i was wondering if i should get one and how hard it would be to maintain them feeding wise since i use frozen bloodworm cubes and brine shrimp i've heard of using a turkey baster to feed them but i don't want the mess

any thought would be nice thx

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I haven't kept a young juvenile before but they are probably a bit more sensitive to water parameters than adults may be. I've seen lots of people feed juveniles bloodworms, using a jar will be a lot easier for you than a turkey baster and easier clean up! Then you can move on to chopped up nightcrawlers as it gets bigger :)
If you need any aussie nightcrawler online suppliers let me know, I've used a few!

ArwenX7

Reaction score
I'm not sure what age you are classing as a juveniles , but I bought my axie at around 3 months old.

They were eating chopped up earth worms, although with some difficulty. I ended up reverting to feeding blood worms, along with pellets which they took to with no bother. I find it easier to simply take them out of the tank and into a tub to feed them. Stevie (my axoltol) is now totally used to this and swims either into my hand or into the glass I use to transfer them to the tub.

Now at just over 4 months old they are eating small earthworms with no bother. Along with pellets when they are feeling lazy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!