Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Seizures??

tmorgan

Reaction score
Is it possible for axolotls to have seizures? I have one axolotl who sometimes spasms and it looks as though he may be having a seizure.

He is in a 55 gallon tank with three other axies. Temp and water parameters are all ok. I dont have anything odd in the tank either; just sand, javamoss, and some plastic plants.

All of the other axolotls are happy as can be... it's just this one leucistic that is behaving abnormally. He's about 2 years old.

Is there anything I can do?

Thank you for any help. :D

weofui

Reaction score
Can you describe the condition a bit more specifically? Do the limbs quiver and shake, or does his entire body thrash? Does he seem to lose control of motor functions? Meaning, if he's swimming when he has a "fit", does he sink or keep on in the general direction he was headed in? Do the "fits" coincide with feeding, pooping, etc...?

tmorgan

Reaction score
His whole body thrashes. He sometimes seems to get "locked" into one position after a fit as well and will sometimes sit like that for a few hours. So, yeah, he seems to lose control of his motor functions. :( When he has a fit he is usually already on the ground. I haven't noticed it coinciding with anything really. :(

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
That's quite strange. I'm not sure if it would pertain to Axolotls, but some animals react in such a way when suffering from illness or parasites. Is it healthy otherwise?

tmorgan

Reaction score
he has a diet of earthworms and bloodworms... mostly bloodworms. I'm not sure at all what is causing this. :(

tmorgan

Reaction score
Otherwise, he has been healthy. I have noticed that he hasn't been eating as much and is getting pretty skinny. :( I'm not sure what to do.

weofui

Reaction score
Hrm... this is a mystery. How long have you had him? Has he always displayed this behavior, or did it start recently?

tmorgan

Reaction score
I've had Loki for about two years now. He started exhibiting this behavior about a couple weeks ago. The first time I noticed, I thought he was just bloated from eating a bunch and trying to get comfortable. The spasms seem to be sporadic and random. Other than this, he swims around and acts normal. o_O

lollypop

Reaction score
I know you said your water all checked out ok, but have you double checked, only my adult albino has done this before and water seemed ok, but knowing I had had my liquid test about a year I got a new one and low and behold I had a little ammonia spike, did a water change and all was good and all the spasoming/thrashing stopped. If you don't want to get a new test on the off chance, get the water tested at the lfs and get them to wright the results down. :)

Oh and it's tank mate never showed any change in behaviour

Last edited:

tmorgan

Reaction score
I will try a tank change. :) I tested the water but didnt see anything out of the ordinary, but better safe than sorry. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1