Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spring peeper care?

Chelsie08

Reaction score
I’ve recently acquired two spring peepers and would like to get some experience owning them. Only problem is that there is so little care information on them. I was wonder if anyone has had them before and/or can give me some tips on their care and requirements. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Kansamander

Reaction score
I have a couple of spring peepers that I keep with my Smallmouth sallys to clean up any fruit flies or gnats. I've seen them eat small pillbugs and crickets too.

If your pet store offers pinhead crickets, they'll be great. You can also leave an open bag of iceberg lettuce mix or fruit around for several days in a beaker, and then tap the beaker in your tank for fruit flies.

They like to burrow, and are active at night. They're actually very pretty frogs.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I've kept them in the past. They do well in a planted vivarium, with a tight-fitting lid. I can't emphasize this enough- they can squeeze through a very tiny crack.
They should be kept relatively cool, and be given lots of plants and branches to climb on. They need humidity, and a small water dish should be provided.
For food, they will eat nearly any tiny, live insect that will fit in their mouths. Small crickets, isopods, dubia, bean beetles, and fruit flies are all easily obtainable.
They should not be handled except when necessary.

drinkblackwine

Reaction score
Hi, all. New here. Also recently acquired a couple of peepers. Wasn't planning on keeping them long (we released several other adults already to where we found the tadpoles), but am considering keeping the last 2. Can I use regular aquatic plants that are recommended for any terrarium? Can I use regular branches in the area that I know have not been sprayed with pesticides/fertilizer? I am nervous about introducing the wrong plants/wood. Is regular substrate good for them or would they need soil of some kind? I currently don't have much in their tank since I had only planned on keeping adults until the other tadpoles were ready to go as well. I placed some rocks in there so they have somewhere to hide and they have been burrowing underneath them, and hunting fruit flies that I've been providing.

Thank you for any insight!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!