Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: My Chinese FBN's bred...when will the larvae morph?

mattramsland

Reaction score
My Chinese FBN's bred...when will the larvae morph? The eggs hatched last week, and I have all these little "tadpoles" in the tank. How long does it take for them to grow legs, get bigger, etc.? When will they leave the water for the first time? A time-line would be great! Thanks!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Anywhere between 3 and 6 months is the usual thing. It greatly depends on temperature and diet.
You really want to try and get them to morph as late as possible and with a bigger size. Otherwise they morph at a very small size (3cm or so) and they are a bit of a nightmare....

Normally they start developing the front legs during the first week, but the hind legs take a month or so to appear. They won´t get significantly bigger until they have the four legs completely developed and metamorphosis gets closer. Once the legs start gaining width and strength, the change is faster.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!