Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotls and pesticides

bastet

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Newbie here, looking after a friend's axolotl (Butch) indefinitely, and I've become quite attached to the little guy.

My landlord has informed me that my apartment is going to be fumigated on Monday and I'm worried that the pesticides they use may harm Butch. I've asked for a list of any chemicals they use, and I've tried to find in google if there are any that are harmful to axies with no luck, so I was hoping someone here might be able to say whether I'll need to move Butch out of the house for a little while (stressful I know, but if the chemicals are harmful, I don't see what else I can do!!)

The list of chemicals they say they may use some or all of is as follows:
Biflex Aqua Max
Tempo
Coopex
Max Force Gel
Cislin
Crackdown
Delathor Plus
Goliath Gel
Amdro Cockroach Gel

Any help will be much appreciated!!

Cheers.

dragonlady

Reaction score
I don't know that there would be any axolotl friendly pesticides and personally I wouldn't risk it even if somebody did come back and say you'd be okay. I have had my house treated for uninvited guests (close to the river, plenty of "wildlife") and I double layer the tops of all my tanks with heavy towels and/or blankets and leave them on for 24 hours. I was told to cover any food items, dishes, silverware, glasses, etc. as well as my animals. I removed all the air breathers and their enclosures just to be sure.

Since you have such an extensive list there, I'd remove my axolotl and cover anything that I use regarding him such as food, tools (net, cup, bucket, siphon), his tank (if it is staying) - basically if it has a chance into coming into contact with my axolotl - cover it to be safe and/or plan to wash it when you return.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I would ASSUME you could cover the top of the tank in plastic wrap and it would protect the water from anything potentially harmful. And then put another cover over the entire tank....anything that is going to poison critters like roaches or other insects is a form of poison that is definitely going to harm your axies. Try and do your best to ensure none of that junk comes in contact with the water you use for your axies, or anything that will be in your tank or near the Axolotl.

dragonlady

Reaction score
@Shizeric :pPPP The animals didn't protest that loudly, but the kids did! lol

Tank bound got covered, terrestrials got removed. I don't take chances.

bastet

Reaction score
Ok, thank you for your replies :happy:

Butch is now on holidays at my grandma's (around the corner from me) for a couple of days, and I'll be going around every day after work to do a clean and feed.

Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!