Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Dechlorinated water for fry

adowne

Reaction score
Hey have been doing my research into hatching my first axolotl eggs/ raising fry, and a lot of sources suggest a regular water change with dechlorinated water.

As such products seem to instruct a small amount of dechlorinating liquid to water ratio (eg, Aquasafe = 5 ml for every 10 litres) does this mean i should make up an large fresh batch every day or is it acceptable to allow a bucket of this water to stand (and if so for how long)??.
I have considered using a foam or internal filter for the bucket of refill water alone, although this seems excessive.
Any help on this would be great :happy:

melfly

Reaction score
Leaving water to stand will get rid of chlorine but not chloramine.

I suggest using a dechlorintor for each water change.
This is what i do

Mel

adowne

Reaction score
ok that is the plan, but do you make up this batch every day for minute water changes? Or do you leave a bucket of water (that has been treated for chlorine) for each water change?. It just seems a bit much to make a huge bucket of water each day for such tiny amounts of water replacement.
How long does treated water stay clean for without anything living in it? (by living in it i mean axolotl/fish)

melfly

Reaction score
I personally do 100% water changes daily as i keep my babies in unfiltered tubs.

If you need to do less amounts just try and alter the amount of dechlorintor to match the amount of water you are using.

The water will stay treated, so you could could make up a bucket and keep using it as long as there is water left.

Mel

adowne

Reaction score
It seems a lot of people suggest a 100% water change each day so i will probably do this, i was initially concerned about the stress this might cause but i guess water cleanliness is more important. Thanks a lot!

melfly

Reaction score
No probs. Good luck and keep us posted....with pics too!!

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1