Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help, axolotl not eating

AdamHC

Reaction score
Hey, got my axolotl 2 days ago and bought beef heart and axolotl pellets. It won't eat pellets at all, the beef heart it has eaten two really small amounts. It's about 5.5 inches long. Today I bought some live earthworms and it won't eat those either :s

What should I do? :s

The shop did say she was a fussy eater. Her body is not as big as her head.

On a side note, does it matter if worms go into my filter? cause at least 2 did :(

iChris

Reaction score
what the shop told you was more than likely wrong, axolotls are not fussy eaters and they will eat almost anything.

beef heart is high in fat and is not recommended as a staple diet for axolotls, think about it, beef heart does not occur naturally in the wild habitat that they come from. Live earthworms, bloodworms and specially formulated axolotl pellets are the recommended diet.

lets cover the basics:

axolotls are cold water animals so temperatures above 20-22 will do damage over a period of time.
aquarium gravel, river pebbles and stones that are not larger than your animal's head are a no-no, chances are they will swallow them, and this can be fatal. a thin layer of washed play sand or no substrate at all is the only option.

axolotls have no eye lids, and so they don't like bright lights, and if your tank is lit it must have a weak lamp. they also need plenty of hides.

pictures of your tank will help further with your situation, chances are someone here will be able to spot any issues that can be causing this problem.

axies tend to be more active in the evening and at night so try feeding then.

ollie

Reaction score
Hey i also recently got an axie and was worried about feeding time, what you need to do is find some small earthworms and rinse them off really good and the little guy will eat it right up hold them right above the tip of his nose and have fun :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1