Quadraplegic Axolotl Help

Chlorophilian

Reaction score
Country
United States
After a month and a half of waiting, I brought home my first axi today! Yanti is wild-type, just about two and a half inches long, and has perfectly healthy gills and skin. The only thing is, Yanti has no full limbs.
I believe the limbs must have been munched off of my axi early on, as all of the buds have begun regenerating to some degree. The longest, Yanti's left forelimb, is complete to the wrist. Yanti is actively exploring my tank and scooting about, generally behaving as I expect a more complete individual would.
Any tips for providing as much TLC as I can for the little guy to help speed up his recovery? I'll be feeding him on frozen bloodworms, small chunks of nightcrawler and the occasional slug until he recovers and the tank will be kept at about eighteen degrees celcius. Should I fridge him or provide a different diet? Extra water changes? Refrain from introducing new plants?
Help will be greatly appreciated!

The cooler you can keep the tank, the better. Keep it clean and well-fed and it should recover well. Watch for fungus or infection.

I don't recommend fridging, as fridging slows the metabolism and appetite. Ideally, Yanti should be eating each day as he or she is still a juvenile.

Advantageously, as Yanti is so young, he or she should regenerate quite quickly so long as the water is kept cool (your target of 18C is perfect) and clean.

Is the tank cycled? If not, keep a close eye on the water parameters and you will need to do a partial water change each day.

A nutritious diet will also help the regeneration process.

Are you able to post a photo of Yanti in his or her tank setup?

Welcome to the addiction! ;)

Thanks! Yanti should do great. I'll get pictures loaded as soon as I can; he/she's a bit camera shy at the moment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back