Is swim badder control safe for axolotls?

Abbiebutler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My little axie has been having some floating problems recently. I went to the pet shop and they told me it could be swim bladder and advised me to buy swim bladder control. Would it be safe too use in my axies water? Or is there a better way too help? Thanks :)

What made you think axolotls had swim bladders? Axolotl are as far from being fish as pet store employees are from being vets.

Axies don't have swim bladders. And pet shop assistants generally don't know anything about axolotls - their job is to get you to spend some money.

DO NOT add chemicals of any kind to an axie tank unless it is on the advice of a vet.

Axies float because of 3 things:
1. they want to, it's voluntary, and they like it.
2. they need to poop, usually their bum floats. In small juveniles they can also get air bubbled in the digestice tract. It passes when they poop.
3. they have a genetic condition that means they can breathe in air but can't breathe out again, causing stressful floating.

What are you feeding your axie?
Can your axie get down to the floor of it's tank when it wants to?
Does it appear upset about the floating?

I thought it was odd suggesting swim bladder which is why I wanted to check it was okay before I brought and used it! Luckily I haven't! There were a few days where my axie wasn't able too get to the bottom of the tank and would struggle. My axie has a good varied diet because of you guys on here. There has been days where my axie has been top heavy and has been tipping to mainly the left! He is seeming better today however :)

Tipping to one side or nose downwards would indicate air bubbles in his digestive system - it should pass on it's own. In the short term stick to earthworms - I have never had floating issues when feeding worms to my axies, only when they are on bloodworms.

Thank you for your help :) it's nice too get advice from people who know :) unlike pet shops :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back