Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axol Help!

iCorvus

Reaction score
Hello all!
I recently got my first Axol and I think it’s sick. I’ve been doing lots of research on it and I think it’s stress related. He (I’m calling it a ‘he’ because I don’t know yet) has a few white spots on him that are kinda shimmery. It isn’t ich. Recently I noticed that a few of them are green now. Do I need to do the salt bath thing? I have a very calm filter and a bubbler with an LED light. Could this be causing stress? Please help.

Attachments

• A92EBBC7-DDD3-4F27-9D36-F01C14B58D57.jpg
    A92EBBC7-DDD3-4F27-9D36-F01C14B58D57.jpg
    545.1 KB · Views: 202

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Welcome!
If it's shimmery it is probably colouration. Try and get some closer/clearer shots, I can't see anything bad on this pic.
Salt baths are only for fungal infections so unless there is white fluff on him steer clear!
What substrate do you have there? The photo is unclear but if it is gravel remove asap as it can cause impaction. Either have barebottom or sand :happy:

iCorvus

Reaction score
Here’s another picture, more zoomed in at least. I’ll try to get a better one when I get back home.
It’s about an inch and a half of sand with a very thin layer of rocks underneath. I was given bad advice and am working the rocks out. They are bigger than his head at the moment, and I don’t want to stress him out much more than he already is.

Attachments

• CC55CFE5-455D-4FE5-9296-15AA70BD75C3.jpeg
    CC55CFE5-455D-4FE5-9296-15AA70BD75C3.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 141

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Just looks like colouring to me, unless anyone else with a more trained eye can see anything :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1