Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rapid demeanor change

cowboypizazz

Reaction score
My axie, who's name is Hammy due to his extremely funny and outgoing demeanor, is suddenly very reclusive and stiff and is off his food. He's generally a pig and is begging for food even after he's eaten his rations.

A few days ago He started this decline and is really only seen moving when he's going up for air a few times an hour. His gills vary from bright red and pressed against his head - almost like he having trouble getting air - to relaxed and pale due to lack of movement. I tried to feed him and he's still not eating and not even showing interest in food. He's a golden albino color and is still a juvenile, probably about 6-8 months old or so. Maybe 8 inches long?

My husband informed me he put in some algaefix in his tank the other day to try and fix the brown algae problem without me knowing. He did dose it appropriately for the tank size, nut didn't realize axie's are more sensitive than fish and I'm wondering if he's been poisoned sue to this.

Is there anything I can do at this point - nearly 3 days later? Should I get water conditioned and fridge him or just wait it out? I'm really worried about my little guy and I'm crazy attached to him.

Krispy

Reaction score
First, I would do a big water change. I also would tub him with fresh dechlorinated water for the next few days. After a few days, maybe do another smaller water change to be safe?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I agree with Krispy. You might want to change 100% of the tank water to remove the additive and tub your axie to monitor recovery. Test the tank every day or two to watch if the cycle crashes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1