Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Strange and unlikely but ill ask any way?

broadbent30

Reaction score
my axolotls had a sudden tank problem and now there is a fair bit of fungus "i think" floating around and sticking to them...

i quickly fed them (no problems) then moved them to a temp home till their tank is clean.

i have noticed that my gold axolot (the one that has been floating on and off) has taken a liking to walking ontop of his hiding place?

i only have a small amont of water in their temp tank and he seams quite content to sit out of the water and when i usher him off he gets back up?

any ideas if this is odd or what is going on?

thanks

Michael

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would suggest adding a LOT more water. Even temporary tanks should be full. And I would really suggest testing your water quality. It sounds like it's trying to escape bad water.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about the sequence of events... first you found the tank with some crud floating, then you fed them, then moved them to a temporary tank? What had happened before the crud appeared (like how long from the previous feeding, and anything else that might have changed in the tank)? What is the tank size? What do you feed them? What is your usual routine for cleaning their regular tank?

broadbent30

Reaction score
I'm a little confused about the sequence of events... first you found the tank with some crud floating, then you fed them, then moved them to a temporary tank? What had happened before the crud appeared (like how long from the previous feeding, and anything else that might have changed in the tank)? What is the tank size? What do you feed them? What is your usual routine for cleaning their regular tank?

sorry for the huge delay in replying i have had alot happening,

the crud just formed in a space of 12 hours after a feed,
the tank is 30cm X 60cm X 36cm about 57L
i feed them a mix of frozen cubes and live guppies
normal i clean the tank 20% change every 2nd day or if i notice any stuff before hand

broadbent30

Reaction score
also i should add that after the water change and salt baths there has been no more crud but my gold axolotl is still acting odd...

he used to have bigger gills but now they are quite small (working on some before and after photos)

but the others all seam normal?

im going to remove him from the main tank and put him into a med size tank to give him some more space and alone time and see what happens.

also i was thinking about adding a platform that sits just out of the water so he can chill on there if he wants???

Kal El

Reaction score
G'day,

he used to have bigger gills but now they are quite small (working on some before and after photos)

Probable reasons for receding gills:

1. The guppies that you have been feeding him could be nipping at his gills.

2. Too much nitrite in the water, which does seem reasonable considering he has been spending time at the surface of the water. Nitrite has a higher binding affinity than oxygen to the haemoglobin (oxygen transporter) binding site. That is, your axolotl isn't getting enough oxygen so it is swimming to the surface of the tank to get some from the atmosphere. You should check your nitrite levels (if you haven't already).

Jay.

broadbent30

Reaction score
G'day,

Probable reasons for receding gills:

1. The guppies that you have been feeding him could be nipping at his gills.

2. Too much nitrite in the water, which does seem reasonable considering he has been spending time at the surface of the water. Nitrite has a higher binding affinity than oxygen to the haemoglobin (oxygen transporter) binding site. That is, your axolotl isn't getting enough oxygen so it is swimming to the surface of the tank to get some from the atmosphere. You should check your nitrite levels (if you haven't already).

Jay.

hey,

his gills dont seam to be munched on just shunk, and the other 2 axolotls seam fine i will check the nitrite levels now...

do you think adding a live plant will be good for the tank?

Kal El

Reaction score
You can plants to the tank, but you're going to need a plant that can thrive in an environment that is suitable for the axolotl. For example, Java Moss and Java Fern are easy plants becase they require minimal light, which ties in well considering axolotls do not favour the light.

Having said that, what are you planning on using the plants for? If you're thinking about letting the plants help you with the nitrification cycle because your tank hasn't cycled yet, then I would be against getting plants. If anything, you're better off testing the nitrite levels (along with ammonia and nitrate) to see if your tank has cycled, and if it hasn't don't add plants just as yet.

Jay.

broadbent30

Reaction score
ok my levels are

Nitrite 0ppm

Ammonia 0.25ppm

Nitrate 10 - 20 ppm

plus it has one plant that the pet shop girl kinda gave too me today so i couldn't turn it down:p and she has axolotls also but says she has not cleaned their tank in 3 months so i dont know how well they are???

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of frozen cubes do you use? Most varieties (other than bloodworms) tend to be messy. I'm thinking the crud was leftover food. Do you have a gravel/rock bottom? What kind of siphon or other cleaning tools do you have?

kira

Reaction score
also i should add that after the water change and salt baths there has been no more crud but my gold axolotl is still acting odd...

but the others all seam normal?

im going to remove him from the main tank and put him into a med size tank to give him some more space and alone time and see what happens.

also i was thinking about adding a platform that sits just out of the water so he can chill on there if he wants???

The gills can shrink because of the salt baths. Some axies are more sensitive than others.

Just wondering on that platform you mentioned; your axie won't use it if it sits above the water.

broadbent30

Reaction score
What kind of frozen cubes do you use?
Do you have a gravel/rock bottom?
What kind of siphon or other cleaning tools do you have?

1. mostly beef heart and some of the other ones like to mix it up

2. Part bare and part large pebbles that are spaced apart so i can clean around them

3. just a normal siphon from tank to a bucket also an electric siphon that just sucks the water up though a bag and back to the tank (only used for a bigger cleans) and a magnet glass cleaner thing:confused:

broadbent30

Reaction score
The gills can shrink because of the salt baths. Some axies are more sensitive than others.

Just wondering on that platform you mentioned; your axie won't use it if it sits above the water.

im planing to put it so its just below the waters surface so he will be close to the top but not floating, i caught him trying to climb onto a frozen coke bottle this arvo :confused: i think he has forgoten he is ment to walk on the bottom :p

i never knew that about salt baths thanks

Neke

Reaction score
i caught him trying to climb onto a frozen coke bottle this arvo
This happened to one of mine a while ago - she kept hovering at the top of the tank under my floating plants and sitting on top of the filter just under the surface of the water. The tank was cycled and the water was perfect - I eventually figured out that the filter was really clogged up and not working properly. Once I cleaned it out she went back to normal - if you've tested your water and you can't find anything else wrong, could this be the problem?

broadbent30

Reaction score
Once I cleaned it out she went back to normal - if you've tested your water and you can't find anything else wrong, could this be the problem?

i wouldn't think so as i keep my filters clean and rinse them in the tank water ever few changes, also the other two seam quite content to sit on the bottom?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1