Water readings

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if I'm repeating queries that have already been made, I just have a few questions about my water readings.....

When I started testing my water a couple of weeks ago with my snazzy test-tube test kit my ammonia was high (1.0-2.0) and nitrite was zero (nitrate was about 5). I know my tank was still cycling and I had a lot of problems with filters, (was using a small one originally used with my goldfish, then acquired a second-hand larger filter which died after about a week, returned to my original then bought a new slightly larger one, which I'm using now.) During all the change around with filters on the advice of Jay (thank you) I floated the sponge from my original filter in the tank when using different filters (it's still in there now while my new one is still so 'new') Anyway, my ammonia dropped down after doing 50% water changes (to 0.5-1.0), my nitrate raised to 10 and I thought I was winning. Now since adding the new filter my ammonia is still around 0.5 my nitrate has dropped to 0-5 and my nitrite has risen to 0.25. Confused yet? I am!!

I hope you have followed this burble so far! My new filter is a sponge and charcoal filter, will this make any difference to the levels? Should I just keep doing the water changes? Yesterday I did a real through clean of the tank, emptied out at least 50% of the water, took my Axies out in some of their tank water so that I could stir up the sand properly to remove any hidden dead worms etc. and still this morning the ammonia is 0.25, nitrate around 5-10 and nitrite 0.25, I know it's not worryingly high readings, but I'd just like to get some input with this. By the way my pH has been consistently 7.6 throughout.

Thanks for reading this far, sorry if I've confused you all to bits! Ask away if you want me to clarify anything, Kerry

Re: water readings

Hi Kerry,

I just have a cycling nightmare born of inexperience behind me so I understand the confusion.

First, cycling is a process and it takes time. I think you'll have ammonia/nitrite readings for at least two weeks, depending of course on a lot of factors. Have you tested your tap water (or wherever you get the water for your aquarium?): I did and discovered my tap water has both nitrite and nitrate in it. (Yuck.)

Second, the bacteria needs some place to grow. If you clean everything in the aquarium at once - wash the filter, scrub the glass, rinse the plants, vaccuum the sand, and change the water - you will be removing the bacteria, too, and effectively setting your cycle back to the beginning.

Your ammonia and nitrite readings are indeed high but if you can do a daily water change of at least 40%, your axolotls should be able to stand it. Sorry, before I speak out of hand - are your axolotls adults? They are more robust than young axolotls. If your axolotls are young and it is possible for you to keep them in a different container while your tank cycles, this might be best. If they are in a different container (perhaps that in which you put them while you cleaned their tank?) you will need to do daily water changes, but this is of course much easier with a small container than with an aquarium.

Otherwise, the trick is, I believe, to leave everything in the aquarium alone and just do daily, massive water changes to keep the water tolerable for the axolotls while the bacteria build up their effective strength.

-Eva

Hello Eva, thanks for your reply,
In response- I didn't clean the glass, ornaments or plastic plants in my tank, just the sand, I realised this could affect the readings. Also my Axolotls are about 5 months old, one has dark claws, one doesn't, so I guess they're near maturity (they're both about 6" long) So hopefully they won't be too stressed by the water quality, they aren't showing any signs of stress as far as I can tell. Thanks for your input, I will carry on with the water changes and keep testing!! Kerry

Just hand in there Kerry, you're tank is still cycling so daily water changes and time should resolve it all. It can take several weeks though.

It can even take months in some cases, but should be faster if you already have your axies in there, they are a good source of ammonia to feed your bacteria.

Hi Kerry,

have a look at www.axolotl.org it has heaps of advice about all things axolotl including tank cycling.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back