Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Testing healthy water

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
How often does one test the water in a healthy aquarium? Is weekly excessive? Is monthly sufficient?

Thanks,

-Eva

ali000

Reaction score
well, you have obviously asked the unanswerable question.....lol

I think no one wants to tell you what to do as you are one of the (many) fonts of all knowledge on here;)

To be honest (and this will probably get slammed down by many people) as we have kept fish for many years, we really never check the water, unless we have a problem then it's the first thing we do. But I wouldn't want to risk this method with axies (they are too precious) with fish you notice that you lose one or two then start to wonder.

If you are willing to spend the money then testing the water every week will do no harm but I think it's a bit excessive, as your tank is fully cycled, all beautiful and you are very experienced then I wouldn't worry about it too much, perhaps once a month to put your mind at rest. Also, you know the first signs of problems to look out for so you can act quickly should the water deteriorate. :D

Last edited:

blueberlin

Reaction score
Also, you know the first signs of problems to look out for so you can act quickly should the water deteriorate. :D

Good point - and just the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks!

I'd prefer not to test each week, either. The water changes are "fun" enough. (I hate those little dropper bottles and their childproofed caps!) (I may have mentioned that a time or three in other threads.)

Thanks again,

-Eva

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't test my water either. In fact, I don't even own a water testing kit :O

ianclick

Reaction score
When I first started keeping axies I tested every three days excessive I know now I test when I get the urge normally about monthly.

I am not advising this.

I keep a very close eye on whats going on with the setup with regards to water clarity and smell and also cleaning. I spot clean daily when I am home and have a good clean every week or so.

Lisa

Reaction score
I only test about monthly now. Kaysie, I am amazed!! Actually at the moment I'm testing pH more frequently as it's coming out of the tap at 8.0, which is stressing me out a little. But my axies seem to be fine with it.

Saspotato

Reaction score
I test once a week since the tank was cycled before the water change I do (what can I say? I'm a cautious person :p). I only test for ammonia and PH and I never test the nitrate or nitrite any more. If I clean the filter I test every two days for a week or so to make sure the tank doesn't go into another cycle.

I think if you have an established tank and are good with spot cleans and water changes, it's really your call if you test or not.

blueberlin

Reaction score
If I clean the filter I test every two days for a week or so to make sure the tank doesn't go into another cycle.

This is a good point. I probably wouldn't have thought of it. Thank you!

-Eva

aird3

Reaction score
Hi Eva. I was new at this about the same time that you were. Interesting point you have posted. I don't test the water every week either, otherwise if I was I'd be going through test kits like there going out of fashion. I have been doing a water change and vacumn once a week, but don't test the water unless there are signs from my axolotls that something isn't right with one or both of them. My axolotls look healthy and happy, and eat every day, mind you this works for me so I'm sticking to it for the time being. Good Luck with your axolotls Eva.:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!