Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please Help ASAP

will21

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been having problems with my axolotls gills lately because they have been growing back. Today I notice something on his gills. It might just be skin growing or is it fungus? If it is fungus is it contagious? The tank is in great condition too.
Please help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 282

Greenmoon

Reaction score
I've had axies for a long time (never young until my current) and to be completely honest I'm not sure whether it is fungus or just new skin growth, if it is fungus definitely look into trying the fridge treatment (it's pretty easy) how old is it and is it looking better yet???

auntiejude

Reaction score
Do not fridge your axie, you should only fridge an axie when it is impacted with stones or near death. Fridging is not a cure-all for minor things - see it as ICU not a walk in clinic.

The picture shows healing gills, the little bumps are the new gill fronds forming. There is nothing wrong.

will21

Reaction score
He is about 6 years old.
His other side was nipped a little bit and grew back fine with out seeing something like this.
Thanks for the help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1