Fungus

G

greg

I'm having a recurring problem with a very fuzzy fungus on some P. caudopunctatus (though recently it also appeared on a Triturus cristatellus). Seems to start on the back as a sorta gray spot and quickly ... like over night... it is a fuzzy growth on the forelimbs and ultimately over the whole front of the beast. i've treated with some standard fungal drugs used for tropical fish and have cured it in some animals, only to have it flash back a couple months later (thus not really cured...).

No idea how I go it, but assume it was with a newt I got from a pet store.... or some other source.

any ideas? Should I run a diatom filter on the tank for a while (might suck up the newts... hmm.. need to think about that).

Greg

Try salt baths.
My herp vet gave me a fungicide callled Dx Nystan oral. It is mixed with aloevera gell to stop it washing of and applied to the animal topucally. It cured my paramesotriton within 10 days.
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back