Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie wanting advice

L

lindsay

Hi guys i've never posted here before so be gentle i'm prolly gonna sound a bit dumb
uhoh.gif

Firstly, are you supposed to start the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle before you put a new axi in the tank? and how long are you supposed to let the tank sit before introducing an axi?

Secondly, is a filter and an airater (spelling?) ideal or just a filter?

Third, what's an ideal size tank for one adult?

Sorry for the long post but I need advice!

N

nina

helo im kinda new too but ive been reading a lot...

you usualy have to cycle the tank for aprox 30 days or untill the (after you put a source of ammonia) water reads:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate ?

also you dont need a filter or an "airater" but a filter will make the job easier for you and the "airater" gets more oxigen in the water for the axolotl.

the tank size if reccomended 20 gallon which is about 76 litres (a 60 cm tank is usually reccomended)

proud.gif
btw any one feel free to correct me if i have any wrong information!!!

S

sharn

i *think* the nitrates supposed to be below 40ppm.
you should have a filter because it not only keeps your water nice and clean, the bacteria keep the water safe for your axie. it also increases water movement which equals more oxygen in the water. an airater is an optional. and yes a 60 x 30 x 30 cm tank is the minimum for one adult axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1