Stupid, stupid guppies!!!

hacelepues

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, maybe 3 weeks ago I went out and got myself a little 4 gallon tank and 3 guppies. 2 female, 1 male.
I wanted them to breed so I could give Sagan and Bowie some live treats to chase around occasionally.
On Day 2, one of my females dropped 9 fry, which was weird because not only were they separated in the pet store, but she didn't have a gravid spot or anything.
She started swimming funny after that and died a week later. Whatever, I suspected it.
Fast forward to yesterday, about 3 weeks after the purchase, and I find my male guppy dead.
And this morning, the remaining female.

I'm a little peeved to say the least. I'm not sure why the other two died. They looked perfectly fine.
Oh well, I have about 5-7 remaining fry that I will move back into the 4 gallon after some cleaning.

Stupid guppies.

Some pet stores guarantee their animals. I think the one that I go to has a one month guarantee - if the animal dies within a month of purchase, you just bring in the fishie corpse and a sample of water and you get your money back. If the guppies haven't already met their fate, it may be worth a try. :happy:

I honestly don't care enough. They were like 4 bucks total and I have already flushed them :p

How is it that I can take care of axies but I can't handle guppies?!?!?

I used to have a lot of guppies. They kept dying somehow. Some just started to swim weird, some got fungus (I then didn't really care about water quality) and I had a lot of babies and they all died because I had a little filter in the tank, but the current was too strong for them... Stupid me).
If I didn't bought all those new ones I could have been rich... :(

Don't forget that guppies have a limited life span, so death can be expected... Good luck next time!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back