Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Dealing with the shine

Donna001

Reaction score
Best of luck for a full recovery for your little one.
I hope that she soon gets her appetite back and manages to put on a bit of weight.
Fingers crossed.
:happy:

Nioa

Reaction score
Thanks! I was begining to lose hope until her skin returned to normal. I'm gonna' start feeding every day so she puts on a healthy amount of weight.

natuhlee

Reaction score
So what all did you do to help him return to normal? I have a newt that looks a lot like your earlier pictures. It also got a bubble in its mouth, which went away on its own. He eats very excitedly, and basically as much as I'll give him, but his skin is shiny like that. Other than his skin though and him being thin (although not as thin as yours was), he seems completely normal.

Nioa

Reaction score
Although my newt is still very thin (despite daily feeding) the best way to get rid of the disease is to put your newt in a terrestrial setup with damp paper towel and feed regularly. Your newt should have flat matte looking skin with a slighty bumpy texture. That texture is most obvious on the head, so pay close attention to his head.

I'm beginning to think that my newt may have something else wrong with her because she just isn't gaining weight or eating on her own. I'm gonna keep trying though. So far she hasn't gotten worse.

Point is, I'd disregard the reluctance in eating that my newt has. It seems like most people say that their newts don't refuse food when they have the shine. Let me know if he gets better!

Last edited:

Nioa

Reaction score
My newt is still alive but is thin and hasn't seemed to have improved much. I think I'm going to set up an aquatic enclosure for her and see if she improves.

Nioa

Reaction score
I haven't updated in quite a while, but she's doing fine! I'm still working on getting her to eat on her own, but she's in the aquarium with both of the other newts and is active and swimming! I have live food on the bottom of the aquarium to entice her.

Anyway, the shine is gone and she's fine aside from feeding issues. I won't be updating after this post.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That is great to hear! Thanks for documenting yours and her experience with this, as I feel the more collected information on this condition and its progress, and how others have successfully treated it, will be invaluable. Thanks again and really pleased to learn of this great outcome for her :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1