Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: HELP! sick very axolotl

WhoaDammit

Reaction score
I got an axolotl that's constipated/impacted. i've had him for about a year and he/she (?) has never been on gravel since i got him. he's been on VERY fine white sand until he got sick. he's arching his back and his hind legs are up. i tried the refrigerator (40F) but it didn't help. now his toes in the back are starting to die off. the toes are white and just floating around like there's no bone in them. i don't know what to do and i don't want him to die. can someone please help me?!...

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
First, the fridge temp is too cold it should be around 42-46F. Second, how long did you fridge? What are your parameters? What's your temp? Any Fungus/Bacteria? Can I see some pics of your axies? I'll try to help

WhoaDammit

Reaction score
the first time he was a couple of days in the refrigerator. people from a facebook page said no to refrigerate so i took him out. he in his tank for a few days without any improvement and i put him back in the fridge. his toes started to turn white. at first they looked broken and then they started to curl. now he's got missing toes and he doesn't move his hind legs anymore. i got my tank close to the AC and it stays around 68F. i do weekly water changes but i didn't test the water before i drained the tank and got all of the sand out. he's in a tub right now with a bubbler and indian almond leafs. how do i post pictures? i'm new to this site.

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Hell , Sorry for the late response. You post pics by scrolling down at the end of the message you are typing and go to Attach Files and click manage attachments. Once you clicked it, click choose file and you should be able to download a pic from your photo library or take one. You drained the whole tank? That's bad, you now have to restart the cycle of your tank which takes 8 weeks. All the good bacteria is probably gone and all the bad are lurking in the new water. That cause stress to your axie. It's a little hot at 68F. I have the same problem with high temps so, I just stick frozen water bottles which brings the temp down like 5 degrees.. Mine was at 70 but went to 65 when I added bottles. A chiller could help your axie too. Did your axie eat part of a plant of plastic thing? I think your axie is stressed and constipated. When in the fridge, you can't just put him in, take him out, and put him in again. His toes should grow back due to something in their blood that helps them re grow limbs perfectly. Oh, also, I recommend an aquarium fan if you don't have one. Don't trust people from Facebook because many things online can be incorrect. I think you need to talk to a person close to you who can see and knows a lot about axies or call the place where you got your axie. Until I have more info such as parameters, pics, and your tank set up, I cannot really help or give correct info which might stress your axie even more if I give the wrong info.

WhoaDammit

Reaction score
picture

Attachments

• sick axolotl 001.jpg
    sick axolotl 001.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 1,036

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Hello,

Looks like your axie probably ate something rather than sand. Could of eaten a plant? Looks constipated. I personally think that you should really call a person who is experienced with axolotls. I don't think I can give the right information to you. I am sorry. I'll give you a phone number to the store where I got my axolotl which has a lot of info. It is called Seirra Aquatics and it's in Reno, Nevada. Their number is (775)-825-4215. Please call them , it will help. Hope your axie gets better. Sorry :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!